"The 'New Flower' City" Addis Ababa by AddisLig
Addis Ababa Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 2,971 photos
Addis (as the local call it) is situated right at the centre of Ethiopia the economic and political capital of the country. It also serves as the centre of AU, and other UN for Africa organisations. It has a modern look to it but by and large it reflects the composition of the country as a whole. It is a hybrid of different cultures and religious all living side by side.
Because of it's altitude of 2500m above see level, I believe Addis has one of the most beautiful climate anywhere in the world. It is mild and rarely gets over 25 celcius and in the rainy season, you would need your jumpers.
Addis has a lot of good restaurants, cafes and a vibrant night life.
On the down side, there are lots of street beggar-kids in Addis. These kids have more stamina than you can think of so my suggestion is before you go, get your mind prepared to be hassled. There is no point going to Addis and getting upset about the whole - I heard once a tourist using the 'N' word trying to disperse the kids. Fortunately for her, Ethiopians don't understand the significance of that word. The best thing you could do is to 1)ignore them 2)if they persist just keep on walking. When they realise that you have as much stamina as them, they will realise that they are wasting their time. Never give out cash.
I suppose the positive side of Addis is unlike other African cities, it is a very safe city. Violence against tourist is extremely rare so if you can handle the begging, you can walk around the city in the knowledge that you are in one of the safest cities in the world. I believe this is the best way to absorb the atmosphere in Addis.
- Pros:Climate, People & Clutlure, Excellent Coffee
- Cons:Petty theft, pick pocketing and street begging
Shopping in Addis is a great but taxing experience. If you are a type who does not like to haggle then you are in... more travel advice
AddisLig's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- ""The New Flower" Addis Ababa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
Top 5 Pages
- Gonder Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Bahir Dar Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Lalibela Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Vancouver 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
No friends yet.