"Is KL just all about shopping in megamalls only?" Kuala Lumpur by matt10gonzalez

Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 6,164 reviews and 14,283 photos

Most memorable experiences:

-When my brother wanted to push my mother in the streets- boy! They were screaming and screaming! Motorists would look!
Funny part is, the quarrel was stupid! My mother wanted him to wear a rain coat, he didn't like it because he finds it so hot and humiliating and so he blew off and the rest is history! Did they have to throw a fit in the streets?

-When we were roaming the streets like crazy, looking for a church. You see, mom finds it a MORTAL SIN to SKIP mass so she insisted and FORCED us to go to mass! So what happens when we can't find a church?
She squashed us all 7 (Mom, Dad, Obese brother, me, fun-loving cousin, serious gifted cousin, teenage cousin (Kind of big too) in a taxi! We were literally like sardines and She sure didn't mind! And you know what even makes it more funny? Is that it was only mom and serious-gifted cousin who cared to go to mass. (That's right- even dad didn't care.)

-And the mass (St. John's church) is AWFUL! It takes 1 & half whole HOURS LONG! (5:30-7 PM) I wanted to sleep, seriously. We all complained (Even the prayerful mom, my mom) that the mass was too long. So we didn't listen. (Dad just stood outside the church.) Aww... we're such good Christians aren't we?

-Just looking at the photogenic Petronas Towers, even from a far- it never fails to disappoint me even in rain, thunder, sunset or a clear day...

-When my fun-loving cousin got diarrhea- it was a blast!

-The amazing malls like Times Square, Sungei Wang, KLCC Suria, because if we were sick of each other's faces, we can always disappear!

-When teenage cousin had a crush on an Air Asia crew. (A male). Her heart was beating and beating and she was there the WHOLE time in the bathroom area. (Where the crew sits).

-Just walking around Bukit Bintang, Puduraya, passing through all the concrete buildings, eateries, smelling all the scents like, Chinese massage parlors and Indian eateries, it never bores me!

Okay! And now for the serious stuff: (Kids can now back out.)

Is KL just all about shopping in megamalls only?

Is KL just all about shopping in megamalls only?

“Some people (Including Malaysians) told me that there’s nothing to do in KL except shopping! Why, a western backpacker told me that she’d only spend one night in KL just to catch a plane because she found it too modern and boring.”
True, but I think not.

KL will nullify you! Very few cities in Southeast Asia can give you the experience KL has to offer: KL will throw you an exotic visit at the same time with comfort and modernity all at a low price!

Especially after seeing images of the gigantic 11 storey mega mall Times Square, the photogenic ball-pen like towers Petronas , all the skyscrapers, or the monorail and even more? DON’T BE! Or there are still many ways the city can still shock you!
From the hustle and bustle of the crowded Chinatown, to the (Honestly) messy eateries of the Indian Puduraya, to the sheeshas (Yes! There are many arabs in KL!) of the corners of the infamous Bukit Bintang, and to the thousands of die-hard shoppers strolling down the streets, KL may be a small city but it sure is one giant cosmopolitan melting pot!
Looking for sights aside from shopping? Go up the beautiful Petronas, or be a kid for once and try riding a roller coaster in a mall, or why not try seeing the not-so genuine Batu Caves or try visiting a Chinese temple? KL has a dozen sights to keep you entertained for a while.

Then mingle with the Kuala Lumpurians, one of Southeast Asia’s most polite people and its youth, being Southeast Asia’s most bizarre, whimsically fashion designed crazed people and hopefully, you will have a nice time in KL.
In short, KL is like Singapore, clean, may win a beauty award, a little messier than Singapore but however 2x cheaper than Singapore. Enjoy KL.

Comparisons and Family's comments-

Compared to Bacolod-
=Wow! World's apart! Our 3 large malls in Bacolod, like SM, Gaisano or Robinsons appear like miniature toys when compared to Times Square, KL Suria and more! And the tallest building in Bacolod, the PLDT building appears just like an ordinary tenement building here!

Compared to Manila-
=In shopping, I can't really compare- The malls in Manila are about as big as the one's in KL (Except Times Square, a monstrous 15 storey mall, which I believe is the biggest mall in Southeast Asia.) and there are stuff in Manila which I can't find in KL and there are stuff in KL which I can't find in Manila like cd's and certain books.
But in my opinion, I like the bookstores of KL more because they have Borders, MPH and Kinokunaya!
And the malls in KL are more assesible for pedestrians (Thanks to the metro too!), in Manila, they're pretty spread out (Like Rockwell is north of Makati, Greenbelt is south of Makati, SM mega mall is in Ortigas and the Mall of Asia is in the new reclaimed land and they're not convenient by the LRT either.)

Compared to New York or Paris-
=I can't really compare, I mean, they're all different: New York has its Empire State, Paris has its Eiffel Tower and KL has its Petronas Towers.
-They're all as cosmopolitan as each other.
-KL isn't as noisy compared to New York and isn't as scary as New York either.
-But KL is also not as historical and preserved as Paris.
-But for me, KL has the best malls compared to those two! And I think I like KL more because it's more relaxing, laid back if you compare it to New York or Paris.

-Compared to Egypt-
=Oh, world's apart! Despite being both islamic countries, they're both very different- I've never encountered bakheesh here in KL but KL also lacks the night carnival atmosphere of Cairo too.

-Compared to Calcutta, India
=Totally world's apart! You can't compare KL and Calcutta! It's ridiculous! That'll be so unfair to Calcutta!

Family's comments:

Dad: "I love KL, the malls, you just take the monorail and then mall and so on, it's fantastic."
Mom: "If KL was as cold as San Francisco, I wouldn't mind making this my vacation spot."
Brother: "I love KL! Especially Borders bookstore! (He can spend the entire day in it.)
Fun-loving cousin: "I love Ikano Power Center, the Animal Safari... (A pet store)"
Serious, gifted cousin: "I just love Borders. (A big bookstore)"
Teenage cousin: "I love Air Asia." (Has a crush on the crew)
Grandma: (Note: She's been here, but she still thinks it's the past (the 1950's KL, the very first time she was here.) Ay! KL! Eek! What will we do there? It's just a jungle! Manila is nicer!

• Pros:Clean, efficient, modern and get your eyes red with all the shopping!
  • Cons:If you lust for the adventurous or crave for really exotic cities, KL might not be for you.
  • In a nutshell:It’s one giant cosmopolitan melting pot full of colors of many races!
  • Last visit to Kuala Lumpur: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2007

• asiantraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM

i enjoy reading your pages..im planning to go to malaysia

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 2:52 AM

Hi Stunning main pic Matt!thanx for visiting Ouarzazate,if u liked my tips please give'm a rate as to what u think of them!Maroc&Turkey 2 very different countries,both xlnt-4 me think prefer Maroc for safety.havent tried Turkey yet independently.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 7:19 AM

OMG - a pic with the AAsia crew even!!! I do like Ikano POwer centre - that is where i got mypets!!! I think the biggest mall is MidValley Megamall. And now 2 more new malls just opened, Pavillion and Gardens!!!

matt10gonzalez

“Travel is boring unless you’re with my family.”

Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?