"Pilanesberg National Park." Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg by Openseas
Pilanesberg Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 198 photos
I love this picture, it captures life in a huge breath...and who's looking at me !
The landscape in the park is awesome, made up over 55,000 hectares of rolling plains and situated within an extinct volcanic cater and surrounded by hills creating a natural boundary. The long wheat grasses edge themselves beside the dirt road, low wooded trees scattered amongst the hazy heated terrain melt into the hill ,which surround the grassy level plains. The sunshine filters light on the mellow yellow grasses and camouflages the animals in the heat of the African sunshine.
We followed the dirt road, eyes focused to hopefully catch a glimpse of any animal, whom might be on display, in a few moments, we spotted some Springboks, and a dozen deer roaming carelessly and freely, just a few feet from us. After taking a few photos we turned our heads and to our bewilderment and humour, a beautiful elegant giraffe was quietly feeding on a tree beside us, a truly awesome sight. We continued on our little dirt road to see three Hippo’s silently sleeping on the edge of the hill, you could almost miss them, as they look so similar to large rocks, We drove along for another hour ending up at another waterhole, only to find nothing but a few birds busy strolling along the muddy water banks looking for food.
Along the banks were huge turtles sun baking undisturbed by the noisy pecking adjacent to them.Trying to find animals is extremely difficult, as they are so well camouflaged into the terrain, a truly amazing feat of mother nature.
The following International airlines use the Johannesburg International Airport regularly:
South African Airways
All cars can be hired at O. R. Tambo International Airport (formerly known as Johannesburg International Airport. Avis being the biggest rental company.
The journey to Sun city takes approx 2hours and is very easy and well sign posted. We had no problems along the way. The general rule is to keep your windows closed at any major junction or stop signs.
The drive to the national park is very easy and takes approx 5 minutes from the Welcome Centre at Sun City. Pick-up a map of the park from the Welcome Centre before departing for your safari. There is an entrance fee at the gates into the park. Please take note of the closing time of the Park before starting your journey.
All tours to the Pilanesberg National Park can be organized through any of the hotels in Sun City or at the information center (welcome center) which is located just near the entertainment centre.
For self driving you can pick-up a map from the welcome centre.
Other tours available can be done through www.gametrac.co.za which has a desk located in the welcome centre.
- Pros:Stunning, beautiful and different.
- Cons:It can become an obession.
- In a nutshell:An awesome experience !
My friend, you captured me or did I you are so you, and I am so me forever seeking a fleeting moment of rest in a... more travel advice
For a fabulous night out after visiting Pilanesberg National Park, one needs to have a stiff champs and a dance with the... more travel advice
Openseas' Related Pages
Pilanesberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pilanesberg National Park."
- "Pilanesberg, a great way to see the Big 5"
- "Up close and personal with the animals"
- "Pilanesberg National Park"
- "One of South Africa's greatest wildlife reserves"
- "Pilanesberg National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pilanesberg
- Hotels in Pilanesberg
- Transportation in Pilanesberg
- Nightlife in Pilanesberg
- Restaurants in Pilanesberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Pilanesberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pilanesberg
- 41 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pilanesberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilanesberg
Photos in PilanesbergSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 111 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manly Intro, 79 reviews, 68 photos
- Sun City Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunk Island Intro, 43 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Margherita Ligure Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parnu Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellagio Intro, 41 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Exmouth Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.