"Cervantes" Top 5 Page for this destination Cervantes by Openseas
Cervantes Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 181 photos
Cervantes is located 240kms north of Perth along the Bland Highway. As the history is well-known, Cervantes evidently is named after the American whaling ship which was wrecked off the coast in 1844. The ship was moored off Thirsty Point (name of bottle shop in town) a fierce gale wind blew up and the ship was blown ashore onto an island.
The ship was named after Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quixote. Its a very small seaside fishing village which specializes in cray fishing. The total population is around 500 people, the town is situated on flat sandy soil which overlooks the stunning turquoise waters which is fantastic for swimming, snorkeling or diving.
Cervantes offers a mixture of attractions from the stunning Pinnacles, stromatolites at Lake Thetis to desert National Parks,beautiful beaches and exquisite wildflowers.
There are a few little islands just just off shore called Boullanger, Whitlock and Escape Island, which are now marine parks protecting seal lions and other diversity of marine life.
The Pinnacles are located within the Nambung National Park, 250km north of Perth. It takes approx 2.5-3hrs to drive from Perth depending on the traffic conditions.
The Pinnacles are situated approximately 17kms from Cervantes and is definitely worth exploring, the Pinnacles rise up from the sand dunes and can reach up to 4 metres high.
The landscape could be described as weird definitely having an lunar feeling to it. The Pinnacles are made of raw material which came from the ocean, sea-shells broken down into lime-rich sand and carried inland by the wind to form dunes.
The interesting part of exploring the Pinnacles one can literally drive around the whole 4km one-way loop without getting out of your car. The park features a variety of flora and fauna, including Western Grey Kangaroo, Possums, Brush Wallaby, Snakes, Lizards and an array of bird life.
Hangover Bay is also well worth visiting as the bay and water looked divine. There is NO water available in Hangover Bay, but water can be found just near the entrance to the Pinnacles.
If your passion is photography then discovering the Pinnacles would be a sheer pleasure for you and the camera.
- Pros:interesting attractions.
- Cons:limited accommodation available.
- In a nutshell:From pinnacles to stromatolites to desert to beach- eerie!
There is a 4WD dirt track which starts from within the Nambung National Park at Hangover Bay. You do however have to be... more travel advice
Please be careful if driving at dawn or dusk as many kangaroos, emu's and koalas cross the roads within this region. more travel advice
- See All The Golf Club
- See All Holiday Homes for rent.
- Cervantes Village
Openseas' Related Pages
Cervantes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the unforgotable pinnacles"
- "Keeweechic's Cervantes"
- "Pinnacles Desert"
- "Nambung National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cervantes
- Hotels in Cervantes
- Transportation in Cervantes
- Restaurants in Cervantes
- Shopping in Cervantes
- Warnings and Dangers in Cervantes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cervantes
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cervantes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cervantes
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 111 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manly Intro, 79 reviews, 68 photos
- Sun City Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunk Island Intro, 43 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Margherita Ligure Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parnu Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellagio Intro, 41 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Exmouth Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.