"Moreton Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Moreton Island by Openseas
Moreton Island Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 68 photos
Moreton Island is situated just 35 kilometres from Brisbane in the Moreton Bay Marine Park. The island is 98% National Park, with fabulous pristine isolated beaches, huge tall sand dunes, crystal freshwater lakes, wetland, mangroves, and an abundance of marine life.
Moreton Island is 38 km long and 12km wide. It is one of the largest sand islands in the world. It's a naturalists wonderland, divers heaven, a fisherman's paradise, birdwatchers dream, and whale watchers fantasy.
The island supports an amazing variety of flora and fauna and is home to the bottlenose dolphins and rare dugongs, loggerhead and green turtles.
It takes approximately 75 minutes by a fast catamaran launch from Brisbane.
Moreton Island is a wonderful getaway pristine island loaded with enormous activities which makes a very special holiday.
The Tangalooma Flyer leaves daily from Holt Street, Pinkenba. (Brisbane) Costs $38.00AUD
Timetable of Ferry
Monday 7.30am 10am* 12.30pm 5pm*
Tuesday 7.30am 10am* 5pm*
Wednesday 7.30am 10am* 5pm*
Thursday 7.30am 10am* 5pm*
Friday 7.30am 10am* 5pm*
Saturday 7.30am 10am* 12.30pm 5pm*
Sunday 7.30am 10am* 12.30pm 5pm*
Coach Transfer $10.00 per adult and $5.00 per child one-way Brisbane city hotels, transit centre and airport.
A transfer shuttle bus operates from the CBD otherwise taxis are available. On the return launch, an announcement is made regarding booking a taxi to take you back to CBD from Holt Wharf. (15 minute taxi ride) or 10 minutes from the airport
CAR FERRY.- COSTS - $155.00AUD with car. Passenger (without car $27.00AUD)
1. The vehicle ferry is the Combie Trader which leaves daily from Scarborough, traveling to Bulwer, with the M.V. Sirenia leaving fom Redland Point and traveling to Reeders Point.
2. The Moreton Venture is a vehicle ferry which leaves from Lytton 6 days a week and also travels to Reeders Point. $155.00AUD with car. Passenger return $25.00AUD.
You can hire 4WD drives from Moreton Island Resort and at Bulwar. Call - 340 1338. If hiring from the resort please book early as the 4WD's are very popular.
If hiring 4WD's in Brisbane then contact Avis, Budget, Thrifty oe Europcar on their webpages.
Our first adventurer was to hire a 4WD drive form Tangalooma Reef Resort. We were given a map and instructions on how to drive along the beaches and warnings about the major problem soft sand.
We headed directly along the beach to check out the wrecks, which are situated near the camping grounds, its super fun to be actually allowed to drive our car along the beach. The water looked so divine and beautiful we just had to dive in and have a swim
- Pros:Fantastic getway holiday.
- Cons:Resort needs some updating.
- In a nutshell:More than an Island !
BEACH CAFE - Open daily from 11.00am to 9.00pm A great place dine with the family or if you are just wanting something... more travel advice
Located on absolute beachfront, The Steakhouse Restaurant serves beautiful tender steaks and is one of the better... more travel advice
- Casual clothing
- Basic essentials are expensive.
- Shopping essentials.
- 4WD - Dangers.
- Activities - Moreton Island.
Openseas' Related Pages
Moreton Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moreton Island"
- "Moreton Island"
- "NOT SO FAR FROM BRISBANE"
- "Moreton Island "A must for island enthusiasts""
- "Moreton Island - sandhills and rainforests"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moreton Island
- Hotels in Moreton Island
- Transportation in Moreton Island
- Restaurants in Moreton Island
- Shopping in Moreton Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Moreton Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moreton Island
- 27 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Moreton Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moreton Island
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 111 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manly Intro, 79 reviews, 68 photos
- Sun City Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunk Island Intro, 43 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Margherita Ligure Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parnu Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellagio Intro, 41 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exmouth Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.