"A beautiful Part of Australia." Victor Harbour by Openseas
Victor Harbour Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 120 photos
Victor Harbour and the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Victor Harbor is situated approx 80kms south of Adelaide, the drive takes around 80 minutes depending whether you want to stop at Mclaren Valley. We stayed at the Whalers Inn situated just on the outskirts of Victor Harbor. (Read review) and had all intentions of visiting Kangaroo Island.
What is amazing about this area is the huge diversity of landscapes and attractions, which can cause a deviation or detour from your original itinerary. Hence, we never got to see Kangaroo Island, as we found the whole region of the Fleurieu Peninsula absolutely fascinating, stunning and spectacular with dramatic scenery. The natural wilderness mixed with pristine rugged coastline and beaches, truly makes this region Australia’s best natural asset.
Victor Harbor is nestled by the sea, with lovely colonial heritage buildings and sites. The town is very quaint with some great old Australian pubs and Inns. There are plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops to keep you entertained. You can take a Heritage walking trial tour and learn the history of buildings like the Old Custom and Stationmaster house.
The best thing to do is walk across or catch the horse-drawn wagon across to Granite Island and see the colony of little penguins. The best time to see the penguins is in the early evening around 7pm, as the penguins return home from sea to feed their chicks. (Make sure you take some warm clothes, it can get very chilly with the sea winds.)
If thinking of staying at Cape Jervis before heading to Kangaroo Island then disregard this idea. Victor Harbour is a lovely seaside town and far more appealing and interesting; Whaler’s Inn is approx 30 minutes drive away from Cape Jervis and a far better choice to be positioned.
Walk across to Granite Island and see the penguins at dusk.
Visit the towns of Goolwa, Port Elliot, Hindmarsh Island, and Coorong National Park and see the Murray River Mouth.
For some awesome scenery take a walk on the “Heysen Trail” which can be connected to just past the Bluff or at Parsons beach or Newland Headlands.(A must do). You can walk this track to Cape Jervis but it takes a couple of days, camping areas are available for keen bushwalkers. Another walk is from Victor Harbor to Port Elliot along the beach. (7kms). All maps can be obtained at the Information Centre.
Follow all the tourist brown signs and get lost in the beauty exploring this gorgeous region. From Cape Jervis drive the coastal road back to Adelaide and see some lovely seaside towns.
- Pros:A wonderful place to visit.
- Cons:It can get chilly in winter !
- In a nutshell:Penguins, Kangaroos and gorgeous scenery.
Visit the wildlife centre which is located 2kms from Victor Harbour in Adelaide Road. See Koalas, wombats, crocodiles,... more travel advice
Victor Harbor is one of the best places in Australia for Whale watching. The whales migrate to South Australia waters... more travel advice
Openseas' Related Pages
Victor Harbour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Victor Harbour...."
- "Victor Harbour"
- "South Australia's Gold Coast"
- "HOLIDAY BESIDE THE SEASIDE"
- "A beautiful Part of Australia."
- "Victor Harbor - I will be updating"
- "Victor Harbor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victor Harbour
- Hotels in Victor Harbour
- Transportation in Victor Harbour
- Nightlife in Victor Harbour
- Restaurants in Victor Harbour
- Warnings and Dangers in Victor Harbour
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victor Harbour
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Victor Harbour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victor Harbour
Photos in Victor HarbourSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 111 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manly Intro, 79 reviews, 68 photos
- Sun City Intro, 48 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunk Island Intro, 43 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Margherita Ligure Intro, 32 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Departamento de Lima Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parnu Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellagio Intro, 41 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Exmouth Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.