"My Luhansk Experience" Top 5 Page for this destination Luhansk by smurphy1400

Luhansk Travel Guide: 412 reviews and 2,076 photos

The Basics

After connecting through Kyiv, I arrived at Luhansk airport (VSP) late at night. Being accustomed to travelling in the US, Carribbean, etc., I would call it a "no frills" airport... waiting at the plane for your luggage and a long. poorly lighted walk to the front curb where my taxi was waiting. But, to be fair I arrived late at night (and left very early in the morning) so you might have a different experience during regular hours.

I stayed in two different rental apartments during my trip, as the apartment I reserved was not ready upon my arrival. I was told there were electrical problems which took 2 days to correct, but, as the lady who cleaned the apartment was just leaving as I arrived, I am inclined to think they just double-booked the apartment. :) I am told renting an apartment is both cheaper and provides superior accomodations than most hotel rooms, but do not expect a room at the Ritz. I found the accomodations to be quite acceptable, although it is a bit "off-putting" to see that every apartment door appears built to withstand a battering ram. I must admit that it did make me feel secure!

I was able to walk to most of the places I wanted to visit, which is great since I can always afford to lose a few pounds, and I found it easy and convenient to find a taxi just about anywhere. It rarely cost more than 15 Hryvnia to get anywhere around town.

There were a couple of grocery stores not too far from me, both of which had just about anything I could think of, a "convenience" store 100 metres from my door, restaurants galore, banks and shops of every kind within walking distance. (I stayed on Moskovskaya Str, near the famous Puppet Theatre)

The City

I was fortunate enough to see a wonderful fireworks display, in Theater Square, from my balcony. Even though I visited in October, I could still feel the importance of the many city parks and even at that time of year it was easy to see how green and beautiful the parks must be in the Spring and Summer. Remembering that the USA is a relatively new country, Luhansk does feel and look like an old city. I don't need to tell anyone that all cities have their pros and cons. I found the city to be quite charming, with pleasant little cafes, shopping areas, many restaurants and an abundant night life. Generally speaking, I do not like cities and would never have considered living in one. But my opinion was formed, based on American ciites and I have to admit that I think I would enjoy living in Luhansk!

My Impressions

Even though I was there for almost 2 weeks, I realize that I was still just a visitor. Not merely a tourist, but certainly not a local. If you want more information about Luhansk, check some of the locals' pages, they can tell you much more than I! Having said that, I highly recommend that you contact someone in Luhansk before your visit. Not only can they show you around to some of the best sites and places, they can steer you away from the people and places who are only interested in separating you from your money. And they will make you feel like a VIP and just like family too.

Luhansk may not be on the "A List" of vacation destinations, it may be an industrial city who's prime has passed it by, but they are constantly improving the city and moving it proudly into the future. (Did that sound like I work for the local Tourism office?) The city has a lot to offer in history, architecture and nostalgia. St. Vladimirs's Cathederal is BEAUTIFUL! And plenty of places to eat and things to do. I, for one, will definitely be going back!

• Pros:Great parks, plenty of food, community events, entertainment and friendly people
  • Cons:Poorly maintained roads, much of the city could use a "face-lift", especially infrastructure.
  • In a nutshell:Maybe in need of a little polishing, but still a jewel
  • Last visit to Luhansk: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Hi, Scott, I'm sure we'll meet here again! ~ o --- Take care, my friend --- o~

smurphy1400

“I never see enough!”

Badges & Stats in Luhansk

Have you been to Luhansk?

Latest Activity in Luhansk