"Azerbaijan" Top 5 Page for this destination Azerbaijan by duckoflife
Azerbaijan Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,724 photos
Baku is a city from two different worlds. It has imposing soviet government buildings, and elegant mansions build by oil tycoons. A harbor full full of multi million dollar yachts. then you have a grimy oil field right smack bad there, and all the filth you would imagine that comes with it. But its small old town encircled within its ancient city walls still holds the charm of old Baku.
This ancient Caucasus village has long been the seat of regional power. Due to minimal outside influence it has a very unique style and feel. People are incredibly friendly here my friend and I were invited into a families home for tea, and it happened to be a national holiday in Azerbaijan( January 22nd, marks the anniversary of a massacre of innocent people in the streets of Baku by Russian and Armenian soldiers) and ended up staying for lunch and they tried to feed us dinner.
Natural gas seeps around the region have given Azerbaijan a long history of fire worship. just outside of Baku there is is an example of these flames and who people have worshiped this element, as Zoroaster fire temple and a gas seep are nearby, you will have to arrange a driver who is used to dealing with tourists to get there though.
- Pros:its intresting, people in rurual areas are real nice.
- Cons:Don't trust your visa is for what you applied always check, I got stuck there and had to beg them to let me leave.
- In a nutshell:Check your visa duration!
If you get your Azerbaijan visa in Tbilisi check and make sure your duration is 30 days like it should be. Mine was 4,... more travel advice
duckoflife's Related Pages
Azerbaijan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Republic of Azerbaijan - my Motherland!"
- "The Land of Fires"
- "Azerbaijan the country of the oil sources"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Azerbaijan
- Hotels in Azerbaijan
- Transportation in Azerbaijan
- Nightlife in Azerbaijan
- Restaurants in Azerbaijan
- Shopping in Azerbaijan
- Warnings and Dangers in Azerbaijan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Azerbaijan
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Azerbaijan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Azerbaijan
- Lebanon Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Azerbaijan Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.