"Japanese Paper (Washi) town" Mino by Toshioohsako
Mino Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 53 photos
Mino City is located in the south-west of Gifu Prefecture. It has been for centuries as a production center of Washi (Japanese traditional paper) which is considered the best quality of papers. It a small calm town. The town is an ideal place for those tourists who wish to see the paper production and history of "paper" merchants. The town conserved the architecture of Edo Period (Tokugawa Shogun period starting from 1603 to 1868). The light up paper work exhibitions are exquisite and so beautiful. You should spend a few days and enjoy the old houses, pavements and paper arts.
Udatsu is a fire wall standing on top of and both ends of the roof designed to prevent the spread of fire from one house to another. Rich merchants who compete for the most elegant Udatsu used to built Udatsu on their house roof. Mino City is renowned for the best preservation of Udatsu.
The excellent paper works using Mino Washi are exhibited at the center of the town next to the Edo period streets with Udatsu roofs. It is truly an authentic experience to see those exhibited masterpieces both at night and during daytime.
- Pros:calm traditional and artstic town
- Cons:need a little effort to reach the town
Mini City conserved the streets and houses of Edo ("Shougun) era. Being in and strolling in Mino, is easily caught by... more travel advice
Mino City invites the public to participate in artwork competition using Washi (Japanese paper). The artwork is lighted... more travel advice
Toshioohsako's Related Pages
Mino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Japanese Paper (Washi) town"
- ""Mino" the city of washi and Udatsu roof houses"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mino
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mino
Photos in MinoSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsumoto Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos
- Mino Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Bergamo Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troms Region Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Miyajima Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Geneva Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos