"Hidden Soviet missile launch base near Plunge" Plunge by Toshioohsako
Plunge Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 5 photos
Prokistine is located near the town of Plunge, approximately 60 km North West of Klaipeda. Its 10 km south of small town, Plateliai.
This is the site of former Soviet missile launch base when Lithuania was a part of the Soviet Union. The site is now being renovated for eventual public visit. It is hidden in a deep forest which is one of the most beautiful nature areas in the region.
Luckily, we were briefly guided to the underground missile facilities (command room, communication room with Kremlin leaders, etc) site to see the reality of missile launching engineering, thanks to an extremely kind worker.
Missiles never flew up but it is exactly here where nuclear warheads were aimed at Western cities during the Cold War.
One cannot imagine that such a peaceful place was used for deadly nuclear weapon launching.
The site will be open to the public sooner or later. People will witness a legacy of the Cold War.
- Pros:interesting, interesting, worth visiting
- Cons:not easy to find
Toshioohsako's Related Pages
Plunge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My home town - Plunge"
- "Hidden Soviet missile launch base near Plunge"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plunge
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Plunge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plunge
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsumoto Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- Mino Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Klaipeda Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Bergamo Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troms Region Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Penang Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Trapani Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos