"Sacred Montserrat" Top 5 Page for this destination Serra de Montserrat by Toshioohsako

Serra de Montserrat Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 181 photos

Monastery in the "Jagged mountains"

Its located 50km North-west of Barcelona. You can take bus, train, taxi (if 3-4 people together is cheap) and your own car. I shared a taxi with 3 more conference participants and each person cost 50 € for round trip (cheaper than guided tourist bus). The taxi took us for 45 minutes and we had about four hours to look around.

The scenery here is great and unique with steep rock faces on every side. The monastery runs the Escolania, a school of church music and pupils song the "Salvr" of the Ave Maria. I want to spend more time next time I come.

It is a "must" place when while visiting Barcelona if you like the nature, monastery and Cathedral.

Jagged mountain

The shape of the mountain is unique and the towering rock faces over the monastery is even more unique. Its a symbol of the sacred Montserrat.

Flowers on every side

Walking along the narrow paths of Sant Joan is a joyful and pleasant experience. One feels the greatness of the nature, fresh air and the beautiful valleys.

• Pros:nature beauty
  • In a nutshell:changing trains and cables cars take a little bit time
  • Last visit to Serra de Montserrat: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 3, 2010

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Enjoyed your Montserrat page, which reminded me of my visit in Nov. '10. The cold air of late Fall did not distract me from enjoying the breathtaking views. BTW, thanks for visiting my Compostela page. You've got to do the walk at least once.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Breathtaking scenery! I always enjoy riding on funiculars, especially when there is such a great view from the top.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2008 at 12:15 PM

This is an absolutely fantastic place! Have also visited on a day trip but I heard that they have know a new train too.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Beautiful pictures, Toshio, I totally missed going there. Regína

Toshioohsako

“The horizon of travel expands indefinitely”

Badges & Stats in Serra de Montserrat

Have you been to Serra de Montserrat?

Latest Activity in Serra de Montserrat