"My Ferney Voltaire" Ferney-Voltaire by Toshioohsako

Ferney-Voltaire Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 28 photos

A fountain where people gather

Ferney Voltaire is a Geneva's neighbor French town. The bus F from Geneva takes you here in 20 minutes. It is only ten minutes taxi ride from the airport of Geneva. I lived here for several years when I was working in Geneva in 1999s. Its a peaceful and cozy town and many people get to know each other. I drove and crossed the Swiss-France border at least two times daily and the custom officers became friends. I just wave them and said hello and crossed the border. I had a diplomatic license plate on my car and that helped. I liked this village and people living here. I could see the pinkish Mont Blanc and other Alps mountains towering in the blue sky from my apartment balcony on a clear sky day. On the back side of my apartment was a close up of Jura mountain. It was very nice to live with a view of beautiful mountains on both sides of my residence. Perhaps, my love for mountains grew strong by this experience.

Felney-Voltaire is my another hometown and I visit this town 2-3 times a year when I come to Geneva. I have a few friends who still live here.

Grand Rue

This is the biggest street in Ferney Voltaire where some interesting shops and restaurants are located. On week-ends, people come here and chat over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. The population of this town is very international as many people who live here are working for international organizations in Geneva. In 1990s, it was cheaper to live here than in Geneva but I hear that more people now live in Geneva because the gap of the house or apartment price between the two cities is not so much different now.

Philosopher-Voltaire

The town is named after this philosopher who influenced the intellectual base of the French Revolution. He had also a rich woman patron in Geneva. No wonder he lived here. His statue stands in the middle of the town.

What is he reflecting about on this beautiful autumn day?

• Pros:pleasant cozy city
  • Cons:life is not cheap as many foreigners live here and proximity to Geneva
  • Last visit to Ferney-Voltaire: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2009

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Looks like a stunning place, unfortunately Imissed it, but my friend is going to Geneva soon, will tell her about it. ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Me again, coming back to check for updates since I last looked at this page on January 29, 2009. I would be very interested in seeing the castle and the Voltaire museum. (I went to Voltaire's other house in Geneva in 2008.)

• Jul 5, 2009 at 7:01 PM

this little place is gorgeous!

• Aug 1, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Sadly, I am unfamiliar with this town. Even so, I was impressed with the overall content of your page.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I've never heard of Ferney-Voltaire before but then I only ever lived 8 months in Geneva visiting Annemasse and Petite Salève mountain.

• israelsson2007's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 2:52 AM

Wonderful page. Hälsning Eva.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM

The two photographs somehow remind me of the 19th district in Vienna. Your crossing the border experience made you a citizen of the world, I am sure! You must have really loved it there!

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 4:21 AM

I may drive through Ferney Voltaire next time i'm going to Geneve. good to know about the local restaurants

Toshioohsako

“The horizon of travel expands indefinitely”

Badges & Stats in Ferney-Voltaire

Have you been to Ferney-Voltaire?

Latest Activity in Ferney-Voltaire