"My Ferney Voltaire" Ferney-Voltaire by Toshioohsako
Ferney-Voltaire Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 28 photos
Ferney Voltaire is a Geneva's neighbor French town. The bus F from Geneva takes you here in 20 minutes. It is only ten minutes taxi ride from the airport of Geneva. I lived here for several years when I was working in Geneva in 1999s. Its a peaceful and cozy town and many people get to know each other. I drove and crossed the Swiss-France border at least two times daily and the custom officers became friends. I just wave them and said hello and crossed the border. I had a diplomatic license plate on my car and that helped. I liked this village and people living here. I could see the pinkish Mont Blanc and other Alps mountains towering in the blue sky from my apartment balcony on a clear sky day. On the back side of my apartment was a close up of Jura mountain. It was very nice to live with a view of beautiful mountains on both sides of my residence. Perhaps, my love for mountains grew strong by this experience.
Felney-Voltaire is my another hometown and I visit this town 2-3 times a year when I come to Geneva. I have a few friends who still live here.
This is the biggest street in Ferney Voltaire where some interesting shops and restaurants are located. On week-ends, people come here and chat over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. The population of this town is very international as many people who live here are working for international organizations in Geneva. In 1990s, it was cheaper to live here than in Geneva but I hear that more people now live in Geneva because the gap of the house or apartment price between the two cities is not so much different now.
The town is named after this philosopher who influenced the intellectual base of the French Revolution. He had also a rich woman patron in Geneva. No wonder he lived here. His statue stands in the middle of the town.
What is he reflecting about on this beautiful autumn day?
- Pros:pleasant cozy city
- Cons:life is not cheap as many foreigners live here and proximity to Geneva
I was seldom in Ferney-Voltaire where I lived during Christmas time. I was always on holiday in other places. It was not... more travel advice
Its a cheaper restaurant than the neighbor restaurant "Hotel de France" but it has excellent local dishes. The "Truite"... more travel advice
Toshioohsako's Related Pages
Ferney-Voltaire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ferney Voltaire"
- "Sweet French town with a touch of sophistication"
- "Voltaire, Patriarche de Ferney"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ferney-Voltaire
- Hotels in Ferney-Voltaire
- Transportation in Ferney-Voltaire
- Nightlife in Ferney-Voltaire
- Restaurants in Ferney-Voltaire
- Shopping in Ferney-Voltaire
- Warnings and Dangers in Ferney-Voltaire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ferney-Voltaire
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Ferney-Voltaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ferney-Voltaire
Photos in Ferney-VoltaireSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 32 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsumoto Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- Mino Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Klaipeda Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Bergamo Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Troms Region Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Penang Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Trapani Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos