"A country with a warm heart..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia by elsadran

Ethiopia Travel Guide: 1,836 reviews and 8,963 photos

My plan was to go to Ethiopia and stay for a couple of months and then, I had in mind, to go on visiting other countries of Africa. However, Ethiopia took my heart and kept me for almost five months...
The principal reason was the warm loving people who offered me their friendship and left a sweet memory in my mind and a warm feeling in my heart.
Ethiopians are open and hospitable, they share everything with you and are very happy to be your friends. Always smiling and helpful, they make you feel at home!
The trip to the South where the Ethiopian tribes live was an unforgettable experience!!!
The scenery is beautiful and in some parts it's quite impressive. The blonde and green fields spreading on the undulating hills feed the eye with their calm serenity. The straw huts stand proudly in their natural simplicity, perfectly matching with the environment.

An exploration of the country may bring you back in time. There are pictures that the Western people have only seen in films of old times, when the houses were made of earth and people cultivated the fields using animals and handmade tools. You can see the men working in the fields around the house and the women cooking their flat round bread called “injera” in the open fire, or participating in every kind of job carrying their babies on their back. You can see farmers separating the hay from the wheat seed throwing it up in the air and the strong oxen dragging heavily the plough in the hard soil. The women's colorful shawls flow in the wind giving them a wonderful feminine grace, and the men wrap their bodies with the white piece of cloth, the shamma, with an air of royal dignity and carry the “dula”, a thick stick of wood used for various purposes, as if it is a scepter... Very picturesque, indeed!

The farmers with the tough hands and the warm heart work hard to survive, and the children grow up trying to help their parents but breathing freely the fresh air and running happily in the hug of nature.
Huts and villages, seen from the top of the mountains, look like toys made of plasticine!
Schools reminded me of ant holes. When the classes were over and the gates opened, millions of uniformed children came out in endless lines like ants going for food searching. They never ran or got out of the lines. They followed each other peacefully until each one arrived at their house!

The only thing that made me sad was the repeated children's voices asking for money, which most of the times was not out of need but worked as a game between them. It worried both me and their parents who don't want their offspring to become beggars and get used to easy money. So please don't give them anything.

*I will give you the prices in birrs, the Ethiopian currency. When I was there one euro was about 19 birrs and one dollar could buy 13,5-14 birrs. But things change.....

• Last visit to Ethiopia: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2013

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Wow.. your people's photos are amazing and compelling. Thanks for sharing so much of Ethiopia. Cheers, SL Liew :)

• elsadran's Profile Photo
      Oct 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Thank you so much my friend! I am just leaving for Myanmar and Sri Lanka. I will send you postcards...

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thanks!!! SL :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Me again, coming back to look at the rest of your fine Things to Do tips on Ethiopia. You certainly have been to some unusual places and had adventurous journeys, such as that return bus trip from Djibouti to Ethiopia. Lovely photos, as well.

• giannisfilippou's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

HI ELSA I AM JOHN BEAUTIFUL FOTOS OF ETHIOPIA I WAS THERE LAST SUMMER

• Oct 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I have lived inEthiopia since 2002....still eating, but Els does have a point that once you leave Addis choice is a lot less except in the tourist hotspots !!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2010 at 4:35 AM

A lovely, informative page, and a great resource as we start to research our own trip! Greetings from a springtime Johannesburg! Cathy

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Now I know what is a chat. Excellent tips and amazingly beautiful photos of people and places. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful journey in Ethiopia. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM

:))) Oh, I'm the first one. Wow!! Amazing pictures, Elsa!! Zion Train Lodge indeed sounds like a paradise! Would like to stay there. Do Rastafarian people here also listen to the reggae? I guess so. Will be back! :)

elsadran Visits Here Frequently!

elsadran

“travelling is magic”

Badges & Stats in Ethiopia

Have you been to Ethiopia?

Latest Activity in Ethiopia