"A country with a warm heart..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia by elsadran
Ethiopia Travel Guide: 1,896 reviews and 9,289 photos
My plan was to go to Ethiopia and stay for a couple of months and then, I had in mind, to go on visiting other countries of Africa. However, Ethiopia took my heart and kept me for almost five months...
The principal reason was the warm loving people who offered me their friendship and left a sweet memory in my mind and a warm feeling in my heart.
Ethiopians are open and hospitable, they share everything with you and are very happy to be your friends. Always smiling and helpful, they make you feel at home!
The trip to the South where the Ethiopian tribes live was an unforgettable experience!!!
The scenery is beautiful and in some parts it's quite impressive. The blonde and green fields spreading on the undulating hills feed the eye with their calm serenity. The straw huts stand proudly in their natural simplicity, perfectly matching with the environment.
An exploration of the country may bring you back in time. There are pictures that the Western people have only seen in films of old times, when the houses were made of earth and people cultivated the fields using animals and handmade tools. You can see the men working in the fields around the house and the women cooking their flat round bread called “injera” in the open fire, or participating in every kind of job carrying their babies on their back. You can see farmers separating the hay from the wheat seed throwing it up in the air and the strong oxen dragging heavily the plough in the hard soil. The women's colorful shawls flow in the wind giving them a wonderful feminine grace, and the men wrap their bodies with the white piece of cloth, the shamma, with an air of royal dignity and carry the “dula”, a thick stick of wood used for various purposes, as if it is a scepter... Very picturesque, indeed!
The farmers with the tough hands and the warm heart work hard to survive, and the children grow up trying to help their parents but breathing freely the fresh air and running happily in the hug of nature.
Huts and villages, seen from the top of the mountains, look like toys made of plasticine!
Schools reminded me of ant holes. When the classes were over and the gates opened, millions of uniformed children came out in endless lines like ants going for food searching. They never ran or got out of the lines. They followed each other peacefully until each one arrived at their house!
The only thing that made me sad was the repeated children's voices asking for money, which most of the times was not out of need but worked as a game between them. It worried both me and their parents who don't want their offspring to become beggars and get used to easy money. So please don't give them anything.
*I will give you the prices in birrs, the Ethiopian currency. When I was there one euro was about 19 birrs and one dollar could buy 13,5-14 birrs. But things change.....
I found this hotel very warm and pleasant although others think the corridor with the room doors and the rooms... more travel advice
Jean Nicolas Arthur Rimbaud, the French poet who lived in the 19th century, chose to spend a part of his life in Harar.... more travel advice
- See All Family Snack, restaurant, Dere Dawa.
- See All General warnings in brief...
- See All Talo, traditional dish in Tigrai
elsadran's Related Pages
Ethiopia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A country with a warm heart..."
- "THE KINGDOM OF AFRICA"
- "THE HORN OF AFRICA"
- "An unknown jewel"
- "Northern Ethiopia and Danakil Desert"
- "Ethiopia - A Unique Country In Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ethiopia
- Hotels in Ethiopia
- Transportation in Ethiopia
- Nightlife in Ethiopia
- Restaurants in Ethiopia
- Shopping in Ethiopia
- Warnings and Dangers in Ethiopia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ethiopia
- 94 Reviews
- 375 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Ethiopia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ethiopia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues