"Panama" Top 5 Page for this destination Panama by elsadran
Panama Travel Guide: 1,734 reviews and 4,373 photos
The predominant colours are the green of the verdant countryside and the blue of the sea; wonderful palm fringed beaches with unbelievably clear water, lush forests and tropical wildlife in the highlands and its National Parks. Hiking, bird watching, snorkeling and diving are the favourites among travellers. In the cities there are also opportunities for cultural and entertaining activities and of course it is a paradise for business travellers. More than one tenth of the population are indigenous tribes persistently keeping their customs and independence thus adding an exotic note to the image of the country and keeping the balance between the profit making development and pure unspoilt nature. Emberas, Kunas, Ngobe Bugles are still wearing their colourful traditional dresses even in the big city centers.
Besides Panama City and the Canal the most visited places are San Blas Islands, Bocas de Toro, Boquete, the beaches and islands of the Pacific side, some picturesque cities of the central highlands such as El Valle, and the Darien Province.
The notorious area of Darien district adds one more line to the secrets of the country although today it can be visited, with the help of a guide, of course.
The land of Panama has seen explorers, conquistadors, traders, pirates and great adventurers who , loaded with great dreams and ambitions, were seeking for a big fortune and a bright future.
Tourism has not yet developed as one would expect, due to the military ruling of Noriega and the unfortunate events of latest history which left the Panamanians no ground for development. However, today Panama has the highest per capita income in Central America but it also has great poverty. Of the 2.8 million of its inhabitants, 37% live below the poverty level and 20 % live in extreme poverty. The Panamanians are not the typical kind of warm, open-hearted, talkative Latin americans. They are more distant people who would not always be so helpful or eager to make friends with you. Especially in the big cities the picture is the same as in American or European cities where everyone mind their own business. Very rarely will they hear your problem and more rarely will they help you out. In the country side they get friendlier and show their real warm heart.
Visit between December and April during the dry season although it is pleasant even in the rainy season.
Miraflores is the canal visiting center closest to Panama City. From its three terraces visitors can enjoy a close view... more travel advice
In 1899 the US Congress created an Isthmian Canal Commission to think about the possibility of a canal in Central... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Panama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bridge of the Americas!"
- "A Mix of Cultures and History"
- "Panama a beautiful retreat... yet almost unknown"
- "Remote and Beautiful Places"
- "Exciting Panama"
- "Panama - the bridge between the Americas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panama
- Hotels in Panama
- Transportation in Panama
- Nightlife in Panama
- Restaurants in Panama
- Shopping in Panama
- Warnings and Dangers in Panama
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panama
- 98 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Panama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panama
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues