Ecuador Local Custom Tips by elsadran Top 5 Page for this destination
Ecuador Local Customs: 55 reviews and 73 photos
On New Year's Eve besides burning the famous dolls, Ecuadorians, mostly men, are dressed as widows in black clothes, tights and a black shawl and stop cars and people in the street asking for money. They are supposed to ask for money for their husband's funeral but they have to perform a dance before they get the money. Obviously they are not so sorrowful about their “husband's”death. This goes on on New Years Day , too . Cars are stopped by a rope raised across the street and can not go unless money or candies are given. The “widows” perform short dances which really funny as most of them are ...men.
On New Year's Eve all people in Ecuador are celebrating the beginning of the new year with a lot of firecrackers and an amusing custom of burning dolls. They have been prepared many days ahead and they can be seen at every corner being sold, or in front of the shops dressed as real people. They are waiting for their moment of sacrifice which will give people a great enjoyment. They are life-sized dolls filled with sawdust or newspapers or any other flammable material, and wearing real clothes according to the person they represent. The head is covered by paper masks. Most of the times they represent unpopular politicians or celebrities, athletes or even cartoon figures. Sometimes even members of the family , but in this case they are burned for luck and not as a punishment...Before they are burned they are beaten by the “displeased” Ecuadorian giving a lot of fun!
More Reviews (27)
- See All Harmony between comfort and nature!
- See All La Terraza restaurant & Natural...
- See All The magic hands of Karina! - Vilcabamba
- don't carry much
elsadran's Related Pages
Ecuador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip in Ecuador with Maillekeul"
- "The land that lies in the middle of the world ..."
- "Ecuador, first step - Equateur, la premiere etape"
- "Ecuador-the country of four seasons!"
- "My itinerary in Ecuador 2011"
- "Ecuador: A Place of Special Consideration"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ecuador
- Hotels in Ecuador
- Transportation in Ecuador
- Nightlife in Ecuador
- Restaurants in Ecuador
- Shopping in Ecuador
- Warnings and Dangers in Ecuador
- See All...
Explore the World
- Maisons-Alfort Hotels
- Santa Nella Village Hotels
- Narberth Hotels
- North Eastern Province Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ecuador
- 134 Reviews
- 445 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ecuador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ecuador
- Posted in Travel Guinea-Bissau Forum "Re: Bus or shared taxi Banjul -..."
- updated a Ecuador Travel Page "Ecuador-the country of four seasons!"
- Wrote a Review Harmony between comfort and nature! in Ecuador Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Harmony between comfort and nature!"
- Commented on one of SanguiniA's Ecuador travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Top Ecuador hotels
- Quito Hotels
- 1040 Reviews - 2770 Photos
- Cumbayá Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Cuenca Hotels
- 261 Reviews - 796 Photos
- Guayaquil Hotels
- 135 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Baños Hotels
- 182 Reviews - 677 Photos
- Bahía de Caráquez Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Otavalo Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 407 Photos
- Puerto Ayora Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Puerto López Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 137 Photos
- Gualaceo Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos
- Vilcabamba Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Riobamba Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Puerto Villamil Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 123 Photos
- Latacunga Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Isla Isabela Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 229 Photos