"Colombia - the friendliest people in the world !" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia by elsadran
Colombia Travel Guide: 4,162 reviews and 12,237 photos
I never expected I would have felt so peaceful and relaxed in Colombia. I know things have not been good in the recent years but a lot has changed in the country. Actually I think that the true peaceful nature of its people has come out so strongly that it functions as a shield for their deserved peace of mind. Not only did I feel safe but for the first time I was carrying my money in my bag instead of 'close to my body'. Well, common sense is always important but Colombians are much more civilised and cultured than many ...others carrying the etiquette.
The country has just opened her wings to fly. The Colombians have put all their genuine smiles on their faces to welcome the tourists who have begun little by little to roam all over the country. Tourists don't feel endangered any more. At least no more than in so many other places in the world...Some do decide to stay. They feel relaxed and welcomed. The people of Colombia deserve to go on with a better life. They deserve the best because they are kind, they are open and they have been suffering for a long time. Even today there are so many still facing the impact of their notorious past. Although the vast majority is not to blame. In fact they are so thirsty to breathe freely, to laugh, to dance and sing, to love! They carry their need around and always grasp the chance to celebrate, help and feel happy.
Today the forests are breathing freely and the mountains slopes are happily carrying their best green carpet. I hope nature will keep the right to be protected and not get enslaved to the 'big projects'. And I hope the warm, lovable, and kindhearted Colombian people will take the destiny of their lives in their hands and will not fall a victim of the world illness...Better healthy and poor than sick and wealthy! I hope they keep on trying their best to keep their culture. Because this is the real soul of the country.
I started my trip with Ipiales, at the border with Ecuador. I continued stopping at Popayan, and then visited the nearby San Agustin and Tierradentro. Bogota was the next stop and Villa de Leiva to the north. Then I went back to Bogota and turned to the west for Armenia, where the purpose was to visit the Parque de Cafe. Locals told me not to miss Valle de Cocora. So I went to Salento, which really conquered my heart, and from there I hiked in Valle de Cocora. Medellin was next and Santa Fe of Antioquia. I came back to Medellin and went on to Santa Marta and Taganga. Leaving my big bag in Taganga I went to Tayrona Park, a paradise that is difficult to leave! Finally I went to Cartagena, had a short trip to Islas de Rosario, and flew to Panama City...
I spent totally two months, January and February 2008 !!!
Don't forget to view my Travelogues to enjoy beautiful photos of Colombia!
What is worthwhile buying in Colombia? Colombian coffee is good! The country is also known for producing textiles,... more travel advice
Popayan is a very pretty, peaceful and clean city of 218,000 people. It is situated in a serene beautiful valley on the... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Colombia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Now on the Menu: Colombia"
- "Colombia - the friendliest people in the world !"
- "Colombia: An Undiscovered Land"
- "Colombia Maravillosa"
- "Colombia - my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colombia
- Hotels in Colombia
- Transportation in Colombia
- Nightlife in Colombia
- Restaurants in Colombia
- Shopping in Colombia
- Warnings and Dangers in Colombia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colombia
- 130 Reviews
- 454 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Colombia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colombia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues