"Colombia - the friendliest people in the world !" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia by elsadran

Colombia Travel Guide: 4,159 reviews and 12,225 photos

I never expected I would have felt so peaceful and relaxed in Colombia. I know things have not been good in the recent years but a lot has changed in the country. Actually I think that the true peaceful nature of its people has come out so strongly that it functions as a shield for their deserved peace of mind. Not only did I feel safe but for the first time I was carrying my money in my bag instead of 'close to my body'. Well, common sense is always important but Colombians are much more civilised and cultured than many ...others carrying the etiquette.
The country has just opened her wings to fly. The Colombians have put all their genuine smiles on their faces to welcome the tourists who have begun little by little to roam all over the country. Tourists don't feel endangered any more. At least no more than in so many other places in the world...Some do decide to stay. They feel relaxed and welcomed. The people of Colombia deserve to go on with a better life. They deserve the best because they are kind, they are open and they have been suffering for a long time. Even today there are so many still facing the impact of their notorious past. Although the vast majority is not to blame. In fact they are so thirsty to breathe freely, to laugh, to dance and sing, to love! They carry their need around and always grasp the chance to celebrate, help and feel happy.

Today the forests are breathing freely and the mountains slopes are happily carrying their best green carpet. I hope nature will keep the right to be protected and not get enslaved to the 'big projects'. And I hope the warm, lovable, and kindhearted Colombian people will take the destiny of their lives in their hands and will not fall a victim of the world illness...Better healthy and poor than sick and wealthy! I hope they keep on trying their best to keep their culture. Because this is the real soul of the country.
I started my trip with Ipiales, at the border with Ecuador. I continued stopping at Popayan, and then visited the nearby San Agustin and Tierradentro. Bogota was the next stop and Villa de Leiva to the north. Then I went back to Bogota and turned to the west for Armenia, where the purpose was to visit the Parque de Cafe. Locals told me not to miss Valle de Cocora. So I went to Salento, which really conquered my heart, and from there I hiked in Valle de Cocora. Medellin was next and Santa Fe of Antioquia. I came back to Medellin and went on to Santa Marta and Taganga. Leaving my big bag in Taganga I went to Tayrona Park, a paradise that is difficult to leave! Finally I went to Cartagena, had a short trip to Islas de Rosario, and flew to Panama City...
I spent totally two months, January and February 2008 !!!

Don't forget to view my Travelogues to enjoy beautiful photos of Colombia!

• Last visit to Colombia: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2008

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It was great to visit your Columbia page and my first page on Columbia. As you said, this country is famous for other reason than tourist destination. The country is really very beautiful and people are more beautiful!! I shall come back and see your other pages!

• Marie-France's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Elsa, I enjoyed reading your information and your feelings about the different towns you visited. Great work! I'm hoping to go to Colombia in March. :)

• rob12c's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I to think that colombian people are the friendliest in the world. My favourite country in the world!! loved your page.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Wow..great overview of Colombia. Great photos especially the local orchids.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Elsa, this is excellent overview on Colombia! I hardly wait for visiting this amazing country myself too :) Loved your sometimes poetic descriptions! Great story about the 'sour' girl - good to hear Colombians are so friendly and smiling people :)

• Jun 26, 2008 at 4:01 PM

hi! Amazing pictures you have here of Colombia.

elsadran

“traveling is magical”

Badges & Stats in Colombia

Have you been to Colombia?