Chile Transportation Tips by elsadran Top 5 Page for this destination
Chile Transportation: 80 reviews and 72 photos
The captain is here..
A common trip is the 4day trip between Puerto Montt and Puerto Natales which Navimag, the most popular company, charges 200-400US$ dorm bed/cabin and going as high as 850$US ! The journey is beautiful , the food is generous but boring, except vegetarian dishes, and the crew do their best to make you happy . There is plenty of...Pisco Sours in the Bar. There is a big lounge for people to come together, talk, read and watch entertaining or educative films.
Book your trip well in advance !
For the complete trip click on Boat trip 1 & 2 .
Another destination is Laguna San Rafael , which you can take from Puerto Montt or from Chacabuko(Coyhaique). In Coyhaique there are offices of Navimag as well as in many cities, for telephone numbers click here Navimag
Ask local people about other boats from Puerto Montt or Coyhaique and even go to the ports yourself since every Travel Agency and hotel owner is promoting Navimag.
In 2005 after a desperate research I finally came to a smaller company where the fare for the trip to Laguna San Rafael was one fourth of the price of Navimag(55000p).
I went on to Puerto Montt with 16000pesos!
Unfortunately I have heard from friends that this company is not operating any more but it's advisable to make your own research . They might have come back to business or something new might have come up.
(The Company was NAVIERA RIO CISNES
----AVENIDA ANGELMO 1673- Recinto Portuario
OFFICES: AVENIDA ANGELMO 2091 (65) 432700-1-2---PUERTO MONTT
For the detailed trip click "Laguna San Rafael-Part1-2"
It's easy to go around Chile since transportation is satisfactory. In Santiago the Metro is fast, clean, safe and efficient. There are five lines operating and more being built. In some stations the decoration is nice. The fare is about 400 pesos(0.75US$) depending on the time and the day of the journey. In combination with buses and Micros you can go almost everywhere in Santiago and the suburbs.
Micros run often and take you everywhere.City fare is about 300pesos. For long distances use the pulmans with Salon Cama where you can have a good sleep , too. For about 6-10-15US$ Regular-Executivo-Cama you can ride for 400km. For shorter distances there are less comfortable but cheaper buses,the interurban Micros.
There is a train(Ferrocarril) line, fast and comfortable, between Santiago and Concepcion (520)and Temuco(680). Taxis and colectivos ( group taxis) are the easy way to go around . Taxis base price is 200(0,40) pesos plus 40 pesos/m. Colectivos leave after a minimal number of passengers and cost much cheaper. Always make a deal before you get in for longer distances.
I always admire people who are travelling with small children. It takes a lot of courage but most of all it points out their fervent traveling desire and a healthy aspect of educating children!
I have met a German family travelling in South America with their teenage children for one year! In my question about their missing their school they made me happy with their prompt answer.." This is school!" I can not agree more!
The French family in the picture is another example travelling with their 3-year old daughter on a ..double bicycle drawing a .."royal" carriage for their little offspring. They had been all over Chile for more than 3 months and, if you look closer, the pretty blond doll of theirs is arranging her "vehicle" by herself!! ( the second little girl is irrelevant)
Of course nationality or origin has nothing to do, as I am explaining in my homepage, as travellers belong to a race of their own. But I think it's ok to mention it.
More Reviews (47)
- See All Los Tabanos !!!
- See All Puerto Aisen - Chacabuko
- See All Puerto Natales - Kawashkar backpacker's...
- Santiago Markets
elsadran's Related Pages
Chile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHILE---A Surprising Country!"
- "Chile - A gifted land"
- "Chile - Land of fabulous contrasts"
- "Land of the Guanaco"
- "* A DISTANT BUT FRIENDLY COUNTRY *"
- "Mission : Fireland - Vers la Tiera de Fuego..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chile
- Hotels in Chile
- Transportation in Chile
- Nightlife in Chile
- Restaurants in Chile
- Shopping in Chile
- Warnings and Dangers in Chile
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chile
- 101 Reviews
- 431 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Chile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chile
- Posted in Travel Zambia Forum "traveling in winter ( November to..."
- updated a Chile Travelogue "Buildings of Santiago"
- Commented on one of elsadran's Chile tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "from San Pedro to Uyuni, Bolivia or vice versa"
- Wrote a Review A family with a great travelling spirit! in Chile Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues