"Philippines" Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines by elsadran

Philippines Travel Guide: 25,270 reviews and 85,965 photos

When tourists think of Philippines they mostly have white palm fringed beaches in mind or walks in tropical forests. Divers dream of clear blue waters with colourful fish swimming around and majestic reef gardens. And they are perfectly right because that's exactly what this country has to offer. But it's much more which you can discover only by staying longer and come to know the warm, communicative and caring people. People who made me feel at home, opened their heart to me and kindly gave me their friendship.
It's their kindness and helpfulness derived from a genuine gentle heart and open-mindedness. It's their patience through the fury of nature that on one unfortunate moment takes away all they have acquired with great difficulty, sometimes even their own lives. It's their legends and traditions expressed in their colourful festivals. It's their beautiful women and amiable children ! It's their sweet smiles and wonderful voices..It's the remote places that are difficult to reach but definitely belong to our vision of paradise. It's the wonderful sunsets !!!
There is much more for you to see, taste and feel..go off the beaten track..open your mind..go as travelers and not as tourists...

I started my trip in Manila which I found not bad despite the hubbub, then I took the boat to Palawan. Coming back to Manila there was a hurricane so my local friends didn't let me go for a while. I escaped them and continued to the Mountain Province where another hurricane kept me put for a week. I enjoyed this week in the company of Philippinos! Baguio, Sagada, Banaue and Bataad are what I visited . But there are more authentic places like Kalinga or picturesque like Vigan which I would like to see, too. Well, next time...
Then I came back to Manila and continued south visiting many towns of Luzon. I gazed at Mt Mayon, that has taken thousands of lives, in awe... I crossed to Samar. Local people did their best to make my life easy. They escorted me, carried my bags and shared their deepest thoughts with me.
From Samar I went to Maripipi and then to Biliran and Leyte. Bohol and Panglao were next where I had many things to do. After that I took the boat to Cagayan de Oro for my approach to Camiguin. Cebu was next and my visits to Bantayan and Malapascua!!! Back to Cebu for Sinulog. I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Siquijor was my next destination where I had time to relax and visit Apo island for fine snorkeling. I continued to Dumaguette and to the unique Sugar beach in Sipalay. Next was Bacolod only for a chance to see Silay and then Ilo-Ilo.
In Boracay I had a wonderful time mingling with locals and long staying tourists who initiated me into the "secrets" of the place. Two beautiful islands came next..Tablas, Romblon and Sibuyan. Then Mindoro and back to Manila for my flight home.
Final conclusion..Every place has a different taste worth of trying!

• Pros:Friendly people, great beaches, wonderful sea life, delicious fishsoup !!
  • Cons:bad transportation..off the beaten track
  • Last visit to Philippines: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2007

• jessgotdestiny's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Hello there! I'm glad you had a great time in my country! :) Thank you for your wonderful pages.

• gabriellasilang's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM

hi elsa! so delighted to read your pages regarding my country, thankful that you enjoyed your travel there !

• edwinic's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 9:13 AM

WOW!!

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM

interesting silay ,i had not heard of it

• Aug 23, 2008 at 5:02 AM

I find some of your photos and topics interesting. I have a travel website about the Philippines. I'm here to ask permission from you if i can use your phtos or link you page to my website. myphilippines.synthasite.com...

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2008 at 4:57 PM

What an excellent page! I might only have 3 weeks and there are so many beautiful places!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I had a beautiful tour of your Philippines page. I am fascinated by the beauty of the land and people of this country. I visited your page as a prelogue to my visit to thisbeautiful country in 2009! I shall be back for more.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Amazing overview of Phillppines. You have been island hopping. Hope you got a postcard from every island you went :) Salamat for sharing, SL :)

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 7:52 AM

a great page and wonderful pics

• Dec 11, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I am lost for words! Your Philippine page is overwhelming in a positive kind of way. The picture of a street lined up with lanterns (parol) brought tears to my eyes as i have not seen Christmas there for more than 30 years. I will be back again later.

elsadran

“traveling is magical”

Badges & Stats in Philippines

Have you been to Philippines?

Latest Activity in Philippines