"Ithaki, a symbol of spiritual fulfillment" Ithaki by elsadran
Ithaki Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 88 photos
This tiny island has inspired writers and poets all over the world!
In Homer's ?Odyssey? , an epic which was destined to survive for years, Ithaki was Ulysses' homeland.
...Then followed many others ...Lord Byron loved her...James Joyce wrote?Ulysses?...and Kavafis created his worldwide known poem ?Ithaca? ?
Ithaki, as the Greek name is, is the symbol of high goals and an elevated spirit in the journey of life. There is a personal ?Ithaca? in everyone's life and reminds us to keep our ideas high and never stop looking for knowledge and experience as this is what really matters; this is the way to a meaningful life!
As Budda said ? You'd better travel well than arrive?
Ithaki is a small beautiful island with tradition, culture, history, natural charm and a deep love of her people for their homeland!
It is a mountainous island but the slopes are pleasantly covered with pines, olives and cypresses and most of all, superb views of the sparkling sea all around the island.
The most convenient way to visit it is in a sailing boat which gives you the freedom to explore the numerous little coves and enjoy the quiet natural beauty of the island. A rented car or motorcycle is also a good way as many beaches can be reached by road. Sometimes the dirt roads are not so easy but the dramatic views of the scenery will compensate you, I am sure!
The deep blue sapphire sea is always clear and inviting and it will compensate you for all the trouble....The secluded, tranquil beaches are not wide and sandy but are absolutely worthy of the trouble!!
There is an obvious cultural and spiritual atmosphere on the island continuing thus its fame of its long history.
In the last years there has been an interest in projects which protect the environment and give a chance to local development, such as ecotourism, biological productivity and women's associations promoting local products.
There are a lot of cultural events and even sailing boat competitions, most of them during summertime.
The island is calm and fortunately unspoilt by the unavoidable tourism and is a harbor of serenity for your soul and your body harmony.
Lefki is a small quiet and beautiful village on the road to Stavros exactly 11 km from Vathy and 11 km from Kioni on the... more travel advice
Stavros is the main town of the north so a lot of action goes on here. It is found on the 16th kilometer from Vathy and... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Ithaki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ithaki, a symbol of spiritual fulfillment"
- "Vathy, capital of Ithaki"
- "Your eyes aren't lying"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ithaki
- Hotels in Ithaki
- Transportation in Ithaki
- Restaurants in Ithaki
- Warnings and Dangers in Ithaki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ithaki
- 23 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Ithaki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ithaki
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues