"Zagorohoria, Vikos Gorge, Tzoumerka" Prefecture of Ioannina by elsadran
Prefecture of Ioannina Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,628 photos
Undoubtly this precious part of Greece is something you will never forget. Whatever season you choose to come the picture perfect landscape will take your heart! In summer when trekking is a real joy, in winter time, when snow plays with magic, or in autumn and spring when colours transform the place to a natural painting of unparalleled beauty!!! A camera is ...obligatory...! Personally I can't wait for my next exploration....
People are calm and joyful. They are eager to help you out with everything. They are polite and talkative if you feel like it. Just learn a few words of Greek to make them feel more familiar...
The new Egnatia highway is really fast and wide but it is boring. So if you have a private car follow the old roads.
Vikos Gorge is a marvel of natural beauty and sustains a unique ecosystem. Hikers consider it as a life dream!
The peak season for Zagori is from August to April. In winter the nature is perfect and the cold is not terrible.
Water is unbelievably clean. It is very tasty to drink and you can feel the difference on your skin after you have washed with it! It is sparkling!
Some of the most picturesque villages of Zagorohoria, in my opinion, are Mikro Papingo, Megalo Papingo, Aristi, Vovousa, Vradeto, Elafotopos, Kipi, Koukouli, Tsepelovo, Vikos, Monodendri, Dilofo, Ano Pedina. Indeed I don't know which one I should mention in fear I might not do justice to the rest of them.
Some of the most typical features of Zagororohoria are the hundreds of wonderful stone bridges. Some are easily accessed, located near the main roads and some need you to make short or long but definitely rewarding walks in magnificent scenery!
Konitsa and Metsovo don't belong to Zagorohoria but are built in the same style and are too beautiful to miss. They are in the same area! Try to include them if you have the time!
Southeast of Ioannina the Tzoumerka mountains (Athamanika) are breathtaking, with the poetic villages of Syrrako and Kalarites hanging over the cliffs, with waterfalls roaring down the steep rocks and the tall trees lining the ranges of the mountains.
There are more picturesque villages on the wonderful Tzoumerka mountains, but they belong to the Prefecture of Arta so you should go to my Arta pages if you are interested.
Do not miss my Travelogues!
A good choice is Taverna “Oikotrofeio” (pronounced “ikotrofio”). The taverna is located on the best spot of the village,... more travel advice
The big building was the old elementary school which has been transformed into a very sophisticated hotel. The... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Prefecture of Ioannina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zagorohoria, Vikos Gorge, Tzoumerka"
- "Beautiful Epirus"
- "Ioannina Prefecture"
- "Ioannina prefecture"
- "The Dodona Festival"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Hotels in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Transportation in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Shopping in Prefecture of Ioannina
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Ioannina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Ioannina
- 31 Reviews
- 218 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Prefecture of Ioannina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Ioannina
- updated a Prefecture of Ioannina Travel Page "Zagorohoria, Vikos Gorge, Tzoumerka"
- Posted in Travel Zambia Forum "traveling in winter ( November to..."
- Commented on one of elsadran's Prefecture of Ioannina travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "Local People - Zagori, Tzoumerka"
- Wrote a Review Restaurant “Oikotrofeio” - Syrrako in Prefecture of Ioannina Restaurants
Photos in Prefecture of IoanninaSee All Photos (218)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues