"Baños - A relaxing adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by elsadran
Baños Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 870 photos
The beautiful, tranquil Baños was founded in 1570 when the missionaries came to evangelise the locals of this area. It is embraced by scenic mountains creating a unique picture. As you are approaching on the bus the first sight of the green valley is already relaxing. It is located on the flank of an active volcano Tungurahua. The famous volcano is active since 1999 when the whole town was evacuated. But soon the inhabitants came back and have lived under the threat of a major eruption ever since. They strongly believe the Virgen of Agua Santa is protecting them. Many tourists are taken to the view point- I think Bellavista- late in the evening and stay up until 3.00 in order to get a magnificent night view of the volcano. When the eruptive activity raises and the sky is clear the sight is unforgettable.
Everybody coming to Baños have two things in mind. Walk or ride in the wonderful lush surroundings and indulge into the body and mind relaxing hot springs... The sweet climate allows for long walks in the jungle and the scenic waterfalls just a few kilometers away, and up the impressive hills that surround the beautiful town. There is a variety of ways to get around. Horses are readily available. Go-carts and bikes, too. “Chiva” the open air tourist bus and many agencies that combine many of them in 1 or 3 day tours. The numerous massage places and spas and the easily accessible hot springs are a relief!
The loads of tourists arriving usually stay more than planned and look really happy and tranquil ! Actually I had to change my original plans for a short 2-3 day visit to a week relaxing stay! Nice bars some with live music play their role in the lively nightlife.
Bus Quito to Baños about 4 hours
Banos is a small town and you can easily go around on foot. In case of raining taxis are available. “ The “chiva” is the... more travel advice
The hotel is surrounded by a beautiful tropical garden and it's been there since 1988. The restaurant is one of the best... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Baños Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baños de Agua Santa"
- "Avenida de las Cascadas, and Baños"
- "A Bug in Baños"
- "Baños - A relaxing adventure"
- "Banos: Ecuador's Adventure Capital"
- "Banos adventures"
- "Waterfalls Everywhere"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baños
- Hotels in Baños
- Transportation in Baños
- Nightlife in Baños
- Restaurants in Baños
- Shopping in Baños
- Warnings and Dangers in Baños
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baños
- 15 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Baños?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baños
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues