"A World Heritage Site!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca by elsadran
Cuenca Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 822 photos
Cuenca is privileged by nature as it is run by four rivers, and situated in a fertile valley enclosed by beautiful mountains. Thus its climate is mild and pleasant all through the year, although its altitude is 2535 meters.
Its first inhabitants go back to 8000BC or even earlier. At about 500BC Canaris started having a more organized society until the Incas conquered them and dispersed them around the area. In 1480 the Incas founded a city with great splendour and named it Tomebamba. Very little is left from the Incas today, except for some ruins in the city and more in Ingapirca. They were destroyed by internal wars and in 1530 the Spaniards had no difficulty in settling down in this region.
In 1557 the Spaniards founded the city of Santa Ana de los Quatro Rios de Cuenca, as its full name is, on the same spot. With its cobbled streets and its dazzling colonial architecture Cuenca is a great rival of Quito and an unforgettable destination. The city center is in the old town and it is here that all the commercial and cultural action takes place. The best way to see it is wandering around the picturesque streets looking up at the impressive building standing proudly there for almost five centuries.
Today the people of Cuenca have managed to develop greatly, economically and culturally, keeping in the meantime their customs and traditions, while presenting their artistic soul in a modern way of expression.
The colorful flower market is normally located in the Plazoleta del Carmen on the corner opposite the New Cathedral.... more travel advice
In an elegant and comfortable environment you will relax over a cup of coffee or have a quiet conversation with your... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Cuenca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viva Cuenca!"
- "Cuenca: A Choice Destination"
- "A World Heritage Site!"
- "Cuenca in Ecuador"
- "Cuenca - Ecuador"
- "Overwhelmed in Cuenca"
- "Cuenca, a Real Gem of a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuenca
- Hotels in Cuenca
- Transportation in Cuenca
- Nightlife in Cuenca
- Restaurants in Cuenca
- Shopping in Cuenca
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuenca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuenca
- 32 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Cuenca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuenca
Photos in CuencaSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues