"Popayan - white is beautiful!" Top 5 Page for this destination Popayán by elsadran
Popayán Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 381 photos
In 1537 the Spanish conqueror Sebastian Belalcazar conquered the city. Because of its strategical location Popayan became a very rich and important city. Nowadays its glory has faded, especially after the earthquake in 1983 but it still keeps a beautiful colonial style in the restored center. Most of the two storey houses have lovely balconies.
It still has a good educatonial level and its University, founded in 1827, is the oldest and one of the most distinguished in Colombia.
El Morro de Tulcan is a pre-Hispanic kind of pyramid where people of the high class citizens were buried. You can enjoy nice views from the top. Volcano Popayan is another opportunity for a nice hike. It can be ascended in four to five hours.
The climate is very pleasant and with an average temperature of 19 C (66F), it can be visited all year around.
The nearby most traditional village of Silvia hold a weekly market where lots of indigenous people from the villages come to sell their products.
Gastronomy plays an important role and the city has been appointed the first UNESCO City of Gastronomy in 2005. Its traditional rich and flavoured dishes have attracted many more gastronomic events.
Popayan is also famous for its Semana Santa celebrations which are the second famous in the world. There are long religious processions in the streets and thousands of people are watching from the sidewalks.
Iglesia de Hermita the oldest church in Popayan. It is dated from 1546 and contains a fine altar and frescoes. It was... more travel advice
La casona del Virrey is a stylish hotel in a colonial house with a lovely patio. It is not cheap but it is very clean... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Popayán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On Finding the Pipián in Popayán"
- "Popayan - white is beautiful!"
- "Popayan - The white city"
- "Ciudad Blanca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Popayán
- Hotels in Popayán
- Transportation in Popayán
- Nightlife in Popayán
- Restaurants in Popayán
- Shopping in Popayán
- Warnings and Dangers in Popayán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Popayán
- 21 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Popayán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Popayán
Photos in PopayánSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues