"Taganga - a place to relax" Top 5 Page for this destination Taganga by elsadran

Taganga Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 185 photos

Heading for Taganga I expected to arrive at a palm fringed beach with clear green blue sea, straw roofed hotels and tropical fruit juice sold on the beach. As for the juice I was right...but the rest is nothing like that at all. It immediately reminded me of a common seaside ..Greek village, enclosed by hills with brownish vegetation and white painted houses. Surprisingly, all my Greek friends expressed the same thought when they saw my pictures. Actually it's not special at all. Except for one thing that should be pointed out. You always have a great time in Taganga. And that's because you have nothing to do here. So you decide to relax and enjoy the slow paced rhythm, the good fresh fish and the company of happy tourists who have the same plan in their mind. A surprising number of tourists gather here from all over the world and give themselves time to finally stop rushing and enjoy a carefree time for a few days. Life is easy going as you can keep up with your sleep, enjoy the clear blue sea and have a tasty fresh fish from the local day's catch. There are drum beating parties at the few bars and people tend to come together and exchange their views about life...Those who feel like being more to themselves can spend their time reading a book on a swinging hammock and have nice walks to the nearby beach.

For those who need a little action there is Santa Marta at a half hour ride where they can have their usual city sightseeing, banking or whatever a traveller expects to do in a city.
Still if one feels full of energy there is a large choice of activities around . They can move to Tayrona park which is itself a wonderful destination! Or they can go diving, they can even arrange trips around this part of Colombia through a Travel Agency. I was told the peninsula to the east is a good place for exploration with interesting villages and pure local life on the heights of Sierra Nevada and around Valledupar, such as Pueblo Bello, and Nabusimake.
Taganga is quiet and peaceful and maybe it's a better base than Santa Marta.
What is magical about Taganga I don't exactly know but everybody likes it and myself made a lot of new friends, had a lot of nice talks, danced to the latin rhythms of drums, had superb Caipirinhas and I certainly had a great time!!!

• Last visit to Taganga: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2008

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Taganga looks like a nice place to chill out - I hope to visit at the end of the year. What a bad luck with a blocked road - but then, good luck that you could make it by boat! I think I would very much enjoy Bitacora at day and night :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I really enjoyed the diving in Taganga, but there were defenitly more tourists there than I had thought before going there.

elsadran

“travelling is magic”

Badges & Stats in Taganga

Have you been to Taganga?

Latest Activity in Taganga