"Villa de Leiva" Top 5 Page for this destination Villa de Leiva by elsadran
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 431 photos
The main square is the most impressive place. It's absolutely empty and vast. Instead of giving you a negative feeling of solitude and abandonment it gives you a feeling of peace and freedom. The air is pure blowing above the precious whitewashed colonial style houses. The landscape with the verdant slopes of the surrounding mountains embraces the city like a hug of nature. The cobbled streets are happy to sound the footsteps only of human feet and horses. Very few vehicles are permitted. The town has survived the uncontrolled destructive massive constructions.
All the buildings are white with dark green or brown doors, windows and balconies. This uniformity is not boring. It's harmonic and respectable. The town looks like a beautiful maiden happily expecting her wedding; thousands of bougainvilleas, roses and geraniums adorning her white dress!
Most of the houses have wooden balconies, red tiled roofs, and the usual courtyards common in the colonial houses. Very charming!
Beautiful hiking, cycling or horseback riding around is possible although the city is inviting you to spend your time with her. Walk in the narrow, clean streets, browse at the quality shops and have a look at the museums. Enjoy a delicious meal watching the city colours change in the sunset! Or even learn some Spanish! Why not?
There are several good hotels and restaurants at very affordable prices. That is an average of 20$ per person for a big meal.
It's 200 kms away from Bogota. Only a 4 hour bus ride.
This town is undeniably charming. It pleases the eye even if you don't even have time to observe very carefully. I am... more travel advice
This is a very simple Stonehedge-type site with 30 big monoliths put in regular distances or lying on the ground and... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A gem not hidden: Villa de Leyva"
- "Charming Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leiva"
- "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- "Colonial Perfection"
- "Enjoying the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villa de Leiva
- Hotels in Villa de Leiva
- Transportation in Villa de Leiva
- Nightlife in Villa de Leiva
- Restaurants in Villa de Leiva
- Shopping in Villa de Leiva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva
- 17 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Villa de Leiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa de Leiva
Photos in Villa de LeivaSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues