"Cananeia" Cananéia by elsadran
Cananéia Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 55 photos
Cananeia is built on a long island that extends to a great length along the Brazilian coast. Cardoso island in front of it is very long too and protects the city of Cananeia from the fury of the Atlantic Ocean.
The town is just perfect for a couple of days of relaxation on your way to Curitiba or Ilha do Mel.
It is inhabited by about 13,000 people who are very friendly, happily smiling and pleasantly relaxed! They are polite, talkative and helpful. Maybe that's because they don't see much of foreign tourists, although there is a lot of local tourism.
The city is located in the biological zone that extends from Rio Ribeira in Iguape as far as Paranagua, in the state of Parana.
Cananeia dates back to 1531, during the early wave of Portuguese settlement. Most of the buildings nowadays are protected by the state because of its colonial architecture. Many beautiful colonial houses are nicely preserved and they look really pretty painted in beautiful colours.
The main occupation of locals today is fishing. A short trip to the island of Cardoso is also something you might like if I tell you that you can swim with the ...dolphins passing inches away from you....!
The walkway along the seafront is good for romantic walks any time during the day and night!
The food is good and the prices are low.
Don't expect too much from this low profile town and you will be more than happy to have been there!
It's 272 km/169miles from Sao Paulo and 6 hours by bus...unless it breaks down as mine did....
Don't miss my Travelogues!
The dolphins living in these waters are of Tucuxi species. Their length usually reaches the 2 meters, which is rather... more travel advice
Sambaquis are mounds of shells - [samba=seashell qui=hill] - left by primitive nomad people of the region, the sambaqui... more travel advice
Written Apr 14, 2009
Written Apr 14, 2009
walking in the streets of Cananeia...
elsadran's Related Pages
Cananéia Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cananéia
- 10 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Cananéia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cananéia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues