"MARIANA : An "elegant lady"" Mariana by elsadran
Mariana Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 109 photos
Mariana is one of the historical cities of the “circle of Gold” in Minas Gerais. The more you stay the more beautiful it seems to your eyes! Maybe you can feel her charm when the dazzle of the stunning image of Ouro Prêto starts fading out...
It is a very quiet, pleasant and relaxing city. It is located in a beautiful valley where river Carmo flows. In the evening people gather in Praça Dr.Gomes Freire and the surrounding eateries... The little square gets so alive that it seems there is a celebration.
Mariana is an old mine city now inhabited by about 50,000 people. It was founded in 1696, on the day gold was found in the river. The excavation of gold in Minas brought a lot of misfortunes to the local people but also created spectacular cities, with superb architecture and culture and great economic status. In 1711 it was named a “vila”(town) named Ribeirao do Carmo and it was the first "vila" in Minas Gerais.. By 1745 it was already the first city and the first capital of the region. The character of the city is underlined by the wonderful churches and buildings mostly built in baroque style. The name is referring to Maria Ana, queen of Portugal.
Agriculture and livestock raising are the main economic activities nowadays. They produce milk, coffee, rice, corn, beans, sugarcane and garlic.
The nature around the town is wonderful. Hiking, swimming in waterfalls, mountain biking and other activities are possible.
Special Warning!!! Everything is closed on Mondays, even the train doesn't run. Make your schedule accordingly.
Don't miss Praça de Minas Gerais at night!
Have a look at my Travelogues.
Very near Ouro Preto is the old mine Mina da Passagem, one of the oldest mines in Brazil. It opened in 1719 and closed... more travel advice
The Archiocesan Museum is housed in the former Casa Capitular (Chapterhouse), an impressive mansion of 1770. It was... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Mariana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MARIANA : An "elegant lady""
- "TO VISIT MARIANA:A TRIP TO BRAZILIAN HISTORY"
- "** Mariana , Queen of Gold **"
- "Mariana - another historical city"
- "A Jewel near Ouro Preto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mariana
- Hotels in Mariana
- Transportation in Mariana
- Restaurants in Mariana
- Warnings and Dangers in Mariana
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wollongong Hotels
- Hebron Hotels
- Castellón de la Plana
- Province of Manitoba Hotels
- Lake Geneva
- San Clemente
- Wallace Falls State Park Hotels
- Sai Kung
- São Paulo
- Monument Rocks National Natural Landmark Hotels
- Mexico City Hotels
- Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
Badges & Stats in Mariana
- 17 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Mariana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mariana
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues