"An astonishing city!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ouro Prêto by elsadran
Ouro Prêto Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 393 photos
Ouro Prêto has escaped any signs of ugly urbanisation. Its buildings and cobblestone streets have been kept in their original form. It is one of the most impressive cities I have seen in Brazil – and I have seen a lot. Walking in the streets can easily leave you with the mouth open while admiring the most dramatic and well preserved architecture of the area.
Ouro Prêto was the main nexus of the gold and silver rush. Its rich colonial history is presented in its museums, architecture, cultural events and it was deservedly declared a UNESCO World Heritage Landmark.
Built on the slopes of several hills it presents a magical picture when viewed from the tops.
Founded at the end of 17th century it became a city in 1711, named Vila Rica, and the capital of Minas Gerais from 1822 until 1897. It was named “Imperial City of Ouro Preto” in 1823 because the gold extracted had a blackish cover of iron acid. It also played a major role in the meetings of the revolutionary “Inconfidencia Mineira”. It is now a main tourist destination and a university town with the School of Mineralogy being one of its most important schools.
Recently it was used for the signing of the economic treaty among the South American countries, known as Mercosul/Mercosur in December 1994.
Nowadays its economy is based on tourism but there are also some metallurgic and mining industries as its mineral riches are still of great value. The Imperial Topaz is only found here.
Among the mines of the area, Mina da Passagem is specially arranged to accept visitors.
Last but not least, a romantic trip on Maria Fumaca is not to be missed!
Enjoy the Travelogues!
Ouro Prêto is about 100kms from Belo Horizonte. Buses of Passaro Verde company – (31)3201-2687 - leave daily and take... more travel advice
In 1881 Don Pedro II inaugurated the West Minas Railroad, a railway of about 775km (465 miles). This route is a part of... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Ouro Prêto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An astonishing city!"
- "The prettiest town i have seen in Brazil so far."
- "THE HISTORICAL LANDSCAPES OF OURO PRETO"
- "Black Gold"
- "Ouro Preto"
- "Ouro Preto"
- "City of black gold - Ouro Preto"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouro Prêto
- Hotels in Ouro Prêto
- Transportation in Ouro Prêto
- Nightlife in Ouro Prêto
- Restaurants in Ouro Prêto
- Shopping in Ouro Prêto
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouro Prêto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouro Prêto
- 13 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Ouro Prêto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouro Prêto
Photos in Ouro PrêtoSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues