"Imperial history..." Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis by elsadran
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
Back in the 18th century Petropolis was a place of no importance called Fazenda do Corrego Seco, only serving as a passage between Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais. Because of the verdant environment and its pleasant climate, Pedro I bought it in 1830 and started building a palace as his summer residence. But it was his son, Pedro II who finished it. Then its royal history started. It was often the center of interest as great members of royal-blood families or important aristocrats gathered here. Deservedly it is also known as “Imperial City of Brazil”! German, Italian and Portuguese immigrants were attracted and helped in the construction of the city leaving their traces in architecture and culture.
Don Pedro signed the Declaration of Independence in 1822 and many years later, in 1888 his daughter Isabella signed the “Golden Law” abolishing slavery in Brazil. Even after the final exile of Don Pedro, Petropolis kept its importance. By 1857 Petropolis was already a city. It was capital of the state of Rio de Janeiro between 1894 and 1903.
The climate is fresh and agreeable in the summer, although it gets quite cold during the rainy season - October to April. The temperature is around 20 C year around.
The name comes from the Greek word "polis" which means ”town or city“ and ”Peter“ in Greek, which is referring to Don Pedro I.
Have a look at my Travelogue
There are simple small eateries which function as a night refuge when everything is closed and you are really hungry.... more travel advice
This is an old fashioned hotel with flowered bedspreads and wooden furniture. There is a common space for common... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 14 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
Photos in PetrópolisSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 118 reviews, 470 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues