"São João del Rey" São João del Rei by elsadran
São João del Rei Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 57 photos
São João del Rey is an interesting city of almost 90,000 people right in the heart of south Minas Gerais. It has an altitude of 860m above sea level so the climate is pleasant although it can bring a lot of rains.
It was founded in the 18th century. Tiradentes, the national hero, and Tancredo Neves, an elected President of Brazil who died before coming to office, were born near here.
This was the scenery in the “War of the Emboadas” (1708-09), when the “bandeirantes” from São Paulo fought against the Portuguese and other Brazilians who, when they heard about the discovery of gold, flocked into the region to control the area. The “Inconfidencia Mineira” also used to meet here and the houses of their meeting places are still preserved.
The tourist train, Maria Fumaça runs to Tiradentes through a beautiful landscape.
São João del Rey didn't stay frozen in time. It developed to a busy industrial city with modern everyday life.
Art has always been present in São João. Today there are artisans making pewter utensil and tableware.
Local gastronomy includes delicious typical dishes and homemade sweets and desserts.
It is 185 km from Belo Horizonte and 330 km from Rio de Janeiro.You can use it as a base to other pretty and interesting places around. The most important of them are Tiradentes, Bichinho, Resende Costa, a weaving center, Prados with its wooden sculptures, Colonel Xavier Chaves with handmade laces and its fine cachaça, Lagoa Dourada and more.
For more photos go to the Travelogue!
The city is famous for its pewter and tin artisans who are found mainly in the historical center. They make tea and... more travel advice
Restaurante Chafariz is a self service restaurant with barbecue, with a variety of delicious local dishes in its buffet.... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
São João del Rei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "São João del Rey"
- "Sao Joao del Rei by Narrow Gauge"
- "Beautiful town in southern Minas."
- "Sao Joao Del Rey"
- "A cute place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São João del Rei
- Hotels in São João del Rei
- Transportation in São João del Rei
- Nightlife in São João del Rei
- Restaurants in São João del Rei
- Shopping in São João del Rei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in São João del Rei
- 11 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to São João del Rei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São João del Rei
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuenca Intro, 32 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues