"Magic quality of the past" Top 5 Page for this destination Tiradentes by elsadran
Tiradentes Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 162 photos
Tiradentes is one of the historical cities in the “circle of gold” in Brazil. It has been kept unspoilt and beautiful. It has plenty of harmonious colonial houses reflecting the city’s elegant spirit. In the years following the gold rush it was forgotten, until in 1970 some businessmen from Rio decided to help restore the beautiful houses. Today it looks as if the whole place has been frozen in time and this makes the tourists happy, at least those who seek peace and a quiet cultural atmosphere. The main attractions are the Railway station, the famous Maria Fumaça, the beautiful churches, the house-museum of Padre Toledo and the colourful houses.
You can still hear the sounds of horse drawn carriages on the cobblestone streets and you can still let yourself get carried away by the charm of the local craft and culture
Tiradentes is also known for the quality and variety of its cuisine, serving typical dishes from the area as well as an array of international dishes.
The local guides offer great hikes on the mountain, the beautiful waterfalls and the hot springs Aguas Santas. They are not hard and offer stunning views of the town from above and the surrounding landscape.
It is 14 kms from São João del Rei and 215 from Rio and only 7 from Bichinho..
Prices are quoted in the brazilian currency real/reais - R$ -, because the rates of dollars or euros change every day. At the time of my visit, January 2009, the dollar was at 2.30 reais and the euro at 3.30R.
For ...window shopping, go to Travelogues!
A great variety of wooden furniture and big and small decoration items are packed in and around the shop. There are... more travel advice
This is an art gallery. The artist creates decorative art mainly, playing with repeated patterns in different, vibrant... more travel advice
elsadran's Related Pages
Tiradentes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magic quality of the past"
- "Tiradentes - MG"
- "Small Town, Big History"
- "Tiradentes - "Takes Teeth""
- "Were the Inconfidencia was born"
- "Carnival in Tiradentes!!!"
- "Historical "Tiradentes""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiradentes
- Hotels in Tiradentes
- Transportation in Tiradentes
- Nightlife in Tiradentes
- Restaurants in Tiradentes
- Shopping in Tiradentes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tiradentes
- 21 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Tiradentes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiradentes
Photos in TiradentesSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ethiopia Intro, 94 reviews, 375 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 46 reviews, 239 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 61 reviews, 219 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 50 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 53 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prefecture of Ioannina Intro, 31 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 33 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parati Intro, 32 reviews, 142 photos, 4 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 136 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prefecture of Florina Intro, 25 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues