"La Altagracia" Provincia de La Altagracia by marielexoteria
Provincia de La Altagracia Travel Guide: 558 reviews and 1,401 photos
...Higüey, the biggest city of La Altagracia, becomes the center of the attention. Why you might wonder? Because it's the day of Virgen de la Altagracia and the best place to celebrate this is visiting her Basílica. The Basílica was built on top of a sanctuary on the 16th century and inaugurated the 21st of January 1971. The pope John Paul II (may he rest in peace) visited it in 1979.
There's a painting of the Virgen de la Altagracia that according to some was brought from Spain. Another story says that a girl asked her father, who was traveling to the city, to bring her a painting of the Virgin. Her father looked for it but no one knew of this Virgin and on his trip back home, he spent the night at a place where he commented what his daughter asked him over dinner. An old man took out a little piece of canvas, rolled, and he told him that this was what he was looking for and disappeared after giving this roll to this father.
People come across the country to celebrate the service at the Basílica, and there's been lots of cases of people who make a pilgrimage on foot from various far away places of the country.
If you visit the Basílica, please dress appropriately.
marielexoteria's Related Pages
Provincia de La Altagracia Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Hotels in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Transportation in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Nightlife in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Restaurants in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Shopping in Provincia de La Altagracia
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de La Altagracia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de La Altagracia
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 90 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Provincia de La Altagracia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de La Altagracia
Photos in Provincia de La AltagraciaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 81 reviews, 116 photos
- Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 99 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 87 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 67 photos
- Beijing Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue