"Iceland: small wonder!" Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by marielexoteria
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,390 reviews and 15,689 photos
What's the first thing you think of when you hear "Iceland"? My first thought was "cold". My second "geysers", my third "expensive"... Iceland is definitely a country that must be experienced.
Our 3-day trip was spent in Reykjavik and the Reykjanes peninsula. Reykjavik reminded me a lot of Stockholm, in the proximity to water, their hipness (is this a word?) and the "green" (trees and parks). Should the weather have been better, we would've had a picnic there.
Reykjanes peninsula is great for a day trip and a popular destination, based on how many guides feature this part of the country and the amount of tourists we encountered. Well, we encountered a lot of tourists at the Blue Lagoon and then one more car with 2-4 people at the other sites, but still. Normally people drive from Reykjavik towards Hafnarfjördur and Krýsuvik area and go clockwise to the sights. We, as the rebels we are, did it the other way around (mouhahahahaha). Either direction you take this route, it's amazing!!!
Iceland is also the place where I've met the first VT member. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor when she visits us.
50 fun facts about Iceland
1) Iceland is known as the Land of the Midnight Sun because there are almost 24 hours of daylight during June, July and August. Non-stop fun under the midnight sun occurs when Reykjavik nightlife explodes into a carnival-like atmosphere in the perpetual daylight of summer.
2) Leif Eriksson (Leif the Lucky), an Icelandic Viking, was the first European to set foot on the American continent around the year 1000 AD, 500 years before Columbus. Sorry, Chris. (And let me just say woohoo! about that mouhahahahaha.)
3) We’re closer than you think! Iceland is the closest European country to the US and Canada with less than five hours flying time from the East Coast.
4) Iceland is essentially pollution-free because it is almost totally powered with geothermal and hydroelectric energy. Clean energy provides resources to grow all sorts of organic fruits and vegetables in greenhouses. Seafood is caught fresh daily from the glistening, pollution free waters. Very often the halibut swimming in a sauce on your dinner plate was carelessly swimming in the ocean during breakfast!
5) Winters in Reykjavik are actually warmer than in New York! Although Iceland borders the Arctic Circle, warm waters from the Gulf Stream travel around the island providing surprisingly mild climates all year round.
6) Reykjavik, Iceland is the northernmost capital city in the world.
7) Almost all Icelanders speak English from the age of 12 - some even earlier. (I didn't post the phrases because I'm building a tip about it.)
8) One of the most unusual sites in Iceland is the unique Blue Lagoon geothermal spa. The smoky blue-green waters and white silica mud help revitalize and nourish the skin and are known to cure skin diseases such as psoriasis. Lava caves, steam baths and modern facilities assist in the relaxing yet invigorating experience.
9) Surprisingly, the most popular sport in Iceland is outdoor swimming in geothermally heated pools - in any weather!
10) In November 2007 Iceland was named by the UN as the best country to live in, based on life expectancy, education levels and average household income.
For facts 11-50, visit Iceland Tourist Board .
I want to publicly thank the following people for helping me with this trip (in no particular order):
- Regina (VT name Regina1965)
- Bragi (VT name Dassi)
- VT members Putns and Sigurgestur
- All other Icelanders who gave me input since November 2007 (sorry, forgot your VT names and the e-mails we've exchanged are deleted :()
This is an image Fred (VT name PALS) sent me and I took it to Iceland. The picture was taken by Lake Tjörnin...unfortunately I didn't have a good grip on the image and a little wind blew it away :( Sorry Fred, I'll do better next time.
- Pros:Rugged nature
- Cons:Expensive, temperamental weather
- In a nutshell:Small wonder, big nature experience!
The original idea was to experience the Blue Lagoon but Mr. Sweden didn't feel up for it, so we only went as far as... more travel advice
That's a saying that you might hear a lot. Weather in Iceland changes quickly: it can go from sunny to windy to rainy to... more travel advice
- See All Road trip through the Reykjanes...
- You will most likely need some of these...
- See All Walking
- See All Before driving tips
marielexoteria's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 47 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 120 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 81 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 99 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 87 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 67 photos
- Beijing Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (173)
Top Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 868 Reviews - 2891 Photos
- Þingvellir Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 314 Photos
- Höfn Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 145 Photos
- Selfoss Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Garðabær Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Hvammstangi Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Borgarnes Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Stafafell Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Vík í Mýrdal Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Mÿvatn Hotels
- 69 Reviews - 357 Photos
- Keflavík Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Grindavík Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Vík Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Stykkishólmur Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 78 Photos