Frederiksberg Kommune Things to Do Tips by marielexoteria Top 5 Page for this destination
Frederiksberg Kommune Things to Do: 17 reviews and 31 photos
I got a walking tour of Frederiksberg the day we went to the zoo.
The first picture here is Frederiksberg's City Hall. This beautiful red brick building was built between 1942 and 1953. The weekend I was there, there were 2 or 3 couples getting married. We didn't get inside but I understand that there's a tour the first Saturday of every month.
The City Hall is located on Smallegade 1-3.
After seeing the City Hall from outside, we went to Frederiksberg Gardens and Zoo, and on to Frederiksberg Church (picture #2). The first thing that I was attracted to, oddly enough, is the roof with black, (sort of) tight tiles. The building is from 1734 and it's the oldest church in Frederiksberg.
The church is located on Pile Allé 3, sort of in front of one of the entrances to Frederiksberg Gardens.
A few steps from the church you'll find of the most pleasant and beautiful streets in all of Copenhagen: Frederiksberg Allé (picture #3). With its wide sidewalks and, well, beautiful, tall trees, walking on it reminded me of Champs Elysées in Paris. We walked the whole street before moving on to our next destination.
See the second part of my walking around tour here.
St. Markus kirke
As you exit the Forum metro station, turn right and you'll find this big brick church at the end of that street. That's St. Markus kirke. I like seeing how prominent it looks when I'm walking inside the little allé like park in the middle of the street. It definitely stand out from the neighboring buildings, not only because of its size and Romanesque influence, but because of the material it was made of (and I like "simple" brick buildings).
The church was built in the 1900's and it's designed by Carl Lendorf. I haven't got in but I will and then I'll have something more to say about it :)
Address: Sankt Markus plads
Directions: Nearest metro station: Forum
Frederiksberg gardens is one of the most beautiful gardens I've seen in Denmark. Besides all the trees and open spaces, there's a few interesting buildings in the area, like a Roman style temple.
For those wanting to do something other than laying down on the grass and having a picnic (when the weather allows it), there's ducks that you can feed, boats for rent and paths to jog. One of the nicest parts of the gardens is that the elephant house from the Copenhagen zoo is open, so if the elephants are out, you can enjoy seeing them.
On the gardens, you'll find Frederiksberg castle, that today is the home of Royal Danish Military Academy.
When visiting the gardens, you'll find a sign saying that you're not allowed to: ride a bike in the premises or use a grill.
Address: Frederiksberg Runddel 1
The Eiffel tower-like Zoo tower
Even tho it's called Copenhagen zoo, it's actually located in Frederiksberg county.
Upon entering the premises, one of the things you see is the Eiffel Tower-like Zoo Tower, which you can climb and enjoy views of Copenhagen and Frederiksberg, upon paying 10 DKK.
The zoo is a nice place to spend a morning or an afternoon at. For the little ones, there's a few stations where they can get their face painted and they offer pony rides. My favorite part was seeing the tigress play with her cub and seeing this, to me, new cat species called "Caracal". I thought it was a lynx because of the tassels in his (her?) ears.
Visiting the zoo has a personal twist for me because I noticed that one of the restaurants serve ecological Dominican coffee, from the town of Jamao.
As of Jun 2009, the admission fee for an adult is 130 DKK.
Address: Roskildevej 38
Directions: According to the website:
- Nearest metro stations: Frederiksberg and Fasanvejen
- Bus lines 4A, 6A and 26 (from various locations in Copenhagen)
marielexoteria's Related Pages
Frederiksberg Kommune Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A (very cozy) city within the city"
- "Slow Beer, Fast Women and Life in General ;)"
- "The rich part of København (Copenhagen)"
- "The Savvy Traveller Goes to Frederiksberg!"
- "The Duck Feeding Capital of Europe"
- "Frederiksberg, the City within a City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Hotels in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Transportation in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Nightlife in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Restaurants in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Shopping in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Warnings and Dangers in Frederiksberg Kommune
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frederiksberg Kommune
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Frederiksberg Kommune?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frederiksberg Kommune
- Posted in Travel Copenhagen Forum "Re: 5 days in copenhagen"
- Uploaded a Photo to "traditional Danish food"
- Wrote a Review traditional Danish food in Frederiksberg Kommune Restaurants
- Commented on one of johngayton's Frederiksberg Kommune travel pages
- updated a Frederiksberg Kommune Travel Page "A (very cozy) city within the city"
Photos in Frederiksberg KommuneSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 81 reviews, 116 photos
- Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 99 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 87 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 67 photos
- Beijing Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue