Helsinki Things to Do Tips by marielexoteria
Helsinki Things to Do: 1,193 reviews and 1,931 photos
Location map (from their website)
This market is closed to where the boats to Helsinki Zoo depart. It's full of stands where they sell local craft, fruit, fish, etc. It's an excellent place to buy some souvenirs, imo. Here I got a t-shirt saying "Finland" and the word "moose" in Swedish, Finnish and English and a cute stuffed animal in the shape of a moose with a hoodie. If you buy here, pay in cash.
Address: South Harbour at the end of the Esplanade Park
Directions: Trams 3T and 3B stop here at the Kauppatori stop.
Two sharks taking a nap
Nice Aquarium where you will not only see fish and other sea creatures, but you'll also learn something new. For instance, I didn't know that there were fruit-eating piranhas. The shark tank is amazing and reminds me of my hometown's tunnel at the aquarium. There's an arch prior to the entrance of this tunnel where I lay on the floor to take a picture of 2 napping sharks.
The kids will enjoy the feeding of the animals. The staff is very friendly and always asking if there's any questions. Finnish and English signs (as far as I remember it).
Address: Tivolitie/Tivolivägen 10
Directions: Sea Life is located in the same area as Linnanmäki. Take the tram line 3T or 3B from the city center and get off at the stop called Alppila/Alphyddan.
Pinball machines and some arcade games
This might not be the first thing that you would do when stepping in on the boat but let's face it, there's not much to do there. The kids usually love these things and it might even be done as a family thing. Swedish coins are accepted and there's usually machines that "break" bills into coins in some locations of the boat.
Address: Silja Symphony Boat
The Church from the boat bridge
This beautiful church in Neoclassical style was designed by Carl Ludvig Engel together with 3 other buildings and until 1917 it was called St. Nicholas Church. It was built between 1830 and 1852 on the place where a small church, called the Church of Ulrika Eleanora, once stood. Today it's one of the most photographed and visited tourist places and used as the symbol of Helsinki. On my next trip I'm definitely getting in.
Free admittance. Open Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm, Sundays 12pm-6pm and closed in October.
Address: Unioninkatu 29
Directions: Go on Aleksanderinkatu to the senate square direction. 10 min. walking.
Phone: +358 - 9 - 709 2455
More Reviews (10)
marielexoteria's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 81 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 99 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 87 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 67 photos
- Beijing Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (173)
Latest Helsinki hotel reviews
- Hotel Kamp
- 398 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Rivoli Jardin Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Cumulus Olympia
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Lonnrot Hostel & Cafe
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Stadion Hostel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Haaga
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Klaus Kurki
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Omena Hotel
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hostel Academica
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hostel Suomenlinna
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Rastila log cottages
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Fenno Finn Apartments
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Scandic Hotel Continental
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- HEO Hostel Helsinki
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2010
- Kauppatori (Market Square & Market Hall)- 74 Reviews, 127 Photos
- Tuomiokirkko (The Lutheran Cathedral)- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Suomenlinna Island & Fortress- 103 Reviews, 226 Photos
- Uspenski Orthodox Church- 81 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Temppeliaukio (Rock) Church- 59 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Esplanadi Boulevard- 35 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Korkeasaari (Helsinki Zoo)- 20 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Olympic stadium- 24 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Linnanmaki Amusement Park- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- National Museum- 14 Reviews, 24 Photos
See All Helsinki Things to Do