"La capital del mango" Baní by marielexoteria
Baní Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 45 photos
When I was a child, some of my neighbors, my family and I would go to Baní for a day trip. The main purpose was for my neighbors to visit their relatives and for us to meet other people and, of course, to get mangos. They not only grow in virtually every house of Baní but also on "forests" where anyone can go with a basket, box, big bag, you name it and get as many mangos as they can carry. No matter if they're green or ripe, they were always good.
These trips sometimes included a trip to a club where one of the banilejos (people from Baní) were member of and we children could take a dip in a pool, or cooking food next to a little canal where we could take a bath.
After doing these trips a few years in a row I got tired of mangos lol.
Edit Apr 2009: wanna see an old video of Baní? The rum company Barceló made a series of commercials featuring provinces and you can see the one from Baní on Youtube.
Something funny happened to me while on one of these trips. I wanted to get a mango from a tree but apparently a wasp had set its sights on it too. I grabbed the mango because I "saw it first" but the wasp wasn't going to go down without a fight so it bit me on my left ring finger. I screamed and "managed" to get the wasp out of my finger and smacked it down to the ground, then my dad killed it. The bite got swollen but since I'm not allergic, all I got was a little shock and the bite disappeared by itself within a couple of days - I still have a scar from it tho.
But hey! the mango was mine :D
- Pros:Good for a daytrip, nice people
- In a nutshell:Part of my childhood
Just in case you need a place to sleep or where to buy something to eat quickly. Hotel Caribaní: if you want to spend... more travel advice
Baní is pretty close to Santo Domingo and suitable for day trips. To get to Baní, take a bus at Parque Enriquillo or at... more travel advice
marielexoteria's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Baní
- 10 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Baní?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baní
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 81 reviews, 116 photos
- Iceland Intro, 47 reviews, 99 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 87 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 67 photos
- Beijing Intro, 26 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue