"La capital del mango" Baní by marielexoteria

Baní Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 45 photos

When I was a child, some of my neighbors, my family and I would go to Baní for a day trip. The main purpose was for my neighbors to visit their relatives and for us to meet other people and, of course, to get mangos. They not only grow in virtually every house of Baní but also on "forests" where anyone can go with a basket, box, big bag, you name it and get as many mangos as they can carry. No matter if they're green or ripe, they were always good.

These trips sometimes included a trip to a club where one of the banilejos (people from Baní) were member of and we children could take a dip in a pool, or cooking food next to a little canal where we could take a bath.

After doing these trips a few years in a row I got tired of mangos lol.

Edit Apr 2009: wanna see an old video of Baní? The rum company Barceló made a series of commercials featuring provinces and you can see the one from Baní on Youtube.

Local Scenes

Something funny happened to me while on one of these trips. I wanted to get a mango from a tree but apparently a wasp had set its sights on it too. I grabbed the mango because I "saw it first" but the wasp wasn't going to go down without a fight so it bit me on my left ring finger. I screamed and "managed" to get the wasp out of my finger and smacked it down to the ground, then my dad killed it. The bite got swollen but since I'm not allergic, all I got was a little shock and the bite disappeared by itself within a couple of days - I still have a scar from it tho.

But hey! the mango was mine :D

• Pros:Good for a daytrip, nice people
  • In a nutshell:Part of my childhood
  • Last visit to Baní: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2009

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Oh, mango!! :) This reminds me of Belem in Brazil where mangos are everywhere. People don't buy them, they just pick the falling mangos from the street. And I did the same ;) I would visit Las Salinas and the Santuario. And your meal... so delicious! :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Would love to explore Santuario a San Martín de Porres - that's my kind of place! Also, I got bitten by a wasp too when it landed on my head and I smacked it with my hand!!! OUCHHHHH - it happened in Kansas City.

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I'm glad to read one of the few pages on VT for Bani. Now I need mangos. I'm happy that we have mango juice in the fridge:) Cheers, Pinar

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM

I must make a stopover the next time I pass through Bani.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Yes, that mango was yours :) :) :)

marielexoteria