"Banska Stiavnica" Banska Stiavnica by hungariangirl896
Banska Stiavnica Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 74 photos
Banska Stiavnica is a special place in Slovakia. It receives only a couple paragraphs in most guidebooks, but I wanted to stay longer than one weekend, so I could just explore. Like other towns in this part of Slovakia, Banska Stiavnica has a very wealthy past thanks to mining. At one time, it was even a very large town. The city, which is covered in cobblestone streets, contains several historical sights as well as some good places to eat. See the sights of this city, but make sure you carve out time for wandering around and exploring like I did. You may be delighted at what you find. :)
Banska Stiavnica, a very old town, was originally home to Celts, Slavs, and Germans and has a long history of mining. Silver and other precious metals were found here and the town began to thrive as early as the mid-1200s. Banska Stiavnica was an important town in Hungary and was almost the site of a battle with the Turks.
The city eventually led the way in mining “technology” with advanced channel systems and gunpowder. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the town was home to a mining and forestry school. Although historically Banska Stiavnica was a large town, this was mainly because of its mining industry. Not a lot of mining is done here now and the town is significantly smaller, so Banska Stiavnica relies on tourism to attract people.
- Pros:A good place for exploring, walking, and sightseeing...
- Cons:Not much of a nightlife
- In a nutshell:A charming and romantic place to get away...
Unfortunately, not much of this synagogue’s history is known, except that it was built in 1893. It’s no longer in use... more travel advice
The Church of St. Catherine, which dates from the 1400s, is a very imposing structure in the city center of Banska... more travel advice
hungariangirl896's Related Pages
Banska Stiavnica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Banska Stiavnica"
- "Terra Banensium, Land of Mines."
- "Interesting Stopover Location"
- "Little Bulgaria in the Slovak mountains"
- "Banksa Stiavnica by Chamsa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banska Stiavnica
- Hotels in Banska Stiavnica
- Restaurants in Banska Stiavnica
- Shopping in Banska Stiavnica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banska Stiavnica
- 7 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Banska Stiavnica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banska Stiavnica
Photos in Banska StiavnicaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 59 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Cluj-Napoca Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Arezzo Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baile Tusnad Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Brasov Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alba Iulia Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos