"Alba Iulia: Old Transylvanian Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Alba Iulia by hungariangirl896
Alba Iulia Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 247 photos
Alba Iulia, or Gyulafehervar, is a medium-sized city in central Romania. This is a historically important city for many people, since it was the old Transylvanian capital. It is significant in Hungarian, Romanian, and Saxon history. There are several medieval buildings in Alba Iulia that are good for history lovers. This town is not at all touristy, which is one reason why I enjoyed taking a stroll in the evening.
At one time, both the Dacians and the Romans were in Alba Iulia. The city has its roots in early Hungarian history. The city’s Hungarian name, Gyulafehervar (Gyula’s white castle) gives a clue about its origins. Gyula was the powerful grandfather of Saint Stephen and made this city very important during his time.
After Alba Iulia became a thriving city, it faced Turkish invasions in the 15th century. This city was the capital of Transylvania for almost 150 years. Over the course of the next couple centuries, Alba Iulia proved to be a culture capital as well. In 1918, it was in Alba Iulia where the decision was made to reunite Transylvania with Romania. The new Romanian king’s coronation also occurred here a few years later.
- Pros:interesting historical sights
- Cons:not much else to do...
- In a nutshell:A Romanian town worth a stop if you have some extra time
This cathedral was built sometime in the 13th century and is a huge structure. This is another historical site in Alba... more travel advice
Alba Carolina Fortress is one of the biggest fortresses in Eastern Europe. It was built at the request of Charles VI and... more travel advice
hungariangirl896's Related Pages
Alba Iulia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Citadels, tunnels and cathedrals"
- "ALBA IULIA"
- "Alba Iulia-Tourist attractions"
- "Alba Iulia"
- "Alba Iulia: Old Transylvanian Capital"
- "The legend of Alba Iulia"
- "Historic Alba Iulia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alba Iulia
- Hotels in Alba Iulia
- Transportation in Alba Iulia
- Nightlife in Alba Iulia
- Restaurants in Alba Iulia
- Warnings and Dangers in Alba Iulia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alba Iulia
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Alba Iulia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alba Iulia
- Posted in Travel Tuscany Forum "Re: Reservations in advance..."
- Commented on one of hungariangirl896's Alba Iulia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Roman Catholic Cathedral"
- updated a Alba Iulia Travel Page "Alba Iulia: Old Transylvanian Capital"
- Wrote a Review Roman Catholic Cathedral in Alba Iulia Things to Do
Photos in Alba IuliaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 59 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos
- Cluj-Napoca Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Arezzo Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baile Tusnad Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Brasov Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alba Iulia Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos