"The Silent City" Top 5 Page for this destination Mdina by steventilly
Mdina Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 852 photos
Mdina was the original capital of Malta until the knights arrived and chose Vittoriosa and then Valletta.
It's known as "The Silent City" most probably because it is largely traffic free - it's ancient narrow streets making it impossible for most vehicles.
There's not a lot going on in Mdina either - it's population is small, it has only 1 hotel, limited cafes and no nightlife. All of those things are catered for by its close neighbour Rabat.
Mdina can become very busy in the height of the tourist season. We were lucky - we were there just before this period, and enjoyed the peace and tranquility that makes Mdina "the silent city".
- Pros:Ancient, Unspoiled, Atmospheric
- Cons:Gets Busy & Crowded
- In a nutshell:Great "Must See" Destination On Any Visit To Malta
I think many people might ignore Rabat, Mdinas more built up neighbour It's where the busses stop or you park your car... more travel advice
The whole of Mdina is a "Must See Activity", probably the greatest Must See on the Island (though everyone has their... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Mdina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Malta's former capital"
- "Mdina the Citta’ Notabile"
- "The Silent City"
- "Mdina - The silent city of Malta"
- "MDINA - Citta Notabile"
- "Mdina, Old Capital of Malta"
- "The not so Silent City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mdina
- Hotels in Mdina
- Transportation in Mdina
- Nightlife in Mdina
- Restaurants in Mdina
- Shopping in Mdina
- Warnings and Dangers in Mdina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mdina
- 28 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Mdina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mdina
Photos in MdinaSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues