"Paola" Paola by steventilly

Paola Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 12 photos

You won't find much mention of Paola in any of the guidebooks - in fact it wasn't mentioned in any of ours, except in passing. It's just an "ordinary" town, begun in the 1600s as an overflow area for the densely populated "Three Cities", it developed quite slowly at first but took off in more recent times.
The original parish church became too small for the burgeoning population and so in 1923 the church shown here (Christ The King) was founded and it was (and possibly still is) the biggest church in Malta.
It was this church that drew us to Paola, that and the hugely handsome Art Deco style town square gardens. We passed through the town one time on a trip to or from somewhere else, most likey the Tarxien Temples (which are in the neighbouring town) and we vowed to come back to Paola to see the church and have lunch in the square.
So one year later, that's exactly what we did.

• Pros:Huge Church, Cheap Food!
  • In a nutshell:A "Real" Town
  • Last visit to Paola: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2005

• Xemx's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2005 at 8:55 AM

I never realised that church was so BIG! I must take a good look at it next time I pass! The ticket booking for the Hypogeum is not as complicated as it looks, but I also used to think that it was. Hope you get to see it next time.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 5:57 AM

you were right about all those churches on Malta....but our bus never stopped by its door!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 1:08 AM

What a lovely place this is. I like the look of the architecture here

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 11:23 PM

What a special church.

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Paola