"Paola" Paola by steventilly
Paola Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 13 photos
You won't find much mention of Paola in any of the guidebooks - in fact it wasn't mentioned in any of ours, except in passing. It's just an "ordinary" town, begun in the 1600s as an overflow area for the densely populated "Three Cities", it developed quite slowly at first but took off in more recent times.
The original parish church became too small for the burgeoning population and so in 1923 the church shown here (Christ The King) was founded and it was (and possibly still is) the biggest church in Malta.
It was this church that drew us to Paola, that and the hugely handsome Art Deco style town square gardens. We passed through the town one time on a trip to or from somewhere else, most likey the Tarxien Temples (which are in the neighbouring town) and we vowed to come back to Paola to see the church and have lunch in the square.
So one year later, that's exactly what we did.
- Pros:Huge Church, Cheap Food!
- In a nutshell:A "Real" Town
The Maltese like their football and every major town has a team, many taking their names from English teams (at least... more travel advice
One of the things that attracted us to Paola so much was its tree-ringed oval "square" with the art deco looking... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Paola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paola - Rahal Gdid (The New Village)"
- "Paola - Home To The Hypogeum"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paola
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Paola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paola
Photos in PaolaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues