"Sliema" Top 5 Page for this destination Sliema by steventilly

Sliema Travel Guide: 251 reviews and 590 photos

Sliema is quoted as being Malta's "biggest and most popular resort" and yet it is not simpy a resort - it is an actual town too, the home to a lot of Maltese locals. In this respect I prefer it to Qawra/Bugibba, which are purpose built resorts, and also to Mellieha.
Sliema has miles of seafront, all backed by a pleasant promenade and much of it lined with flat, rocky lidos from which to sunbathe and swim. There is no sand whatsoever, which can put people off, but not me. I'm not the world's greatest sunbather anyway.
For part of its length the Sliema coastline faces across to Valletta and you get wonderful views of that city - probably THE classic view, especially at dusk. For the rest it faces out to the open sea and for its entire length it is backed by hotels, bars and cafes and the promanade is punctuated by kiosk cafes.
The promenade is a popular and busy place, especially at night when it can seem like the whole of Malta has come out to walk its length. I love the atmosphere that this generates.
Beyond Sliema is St Julians which continues the seaside promenade, ending at the picturesque Spinola Bay, lined as it is with dozens of great eating places and bars. Beyond that is Paceville with its vibrant and youthful nightlife.
As a base Sliema is superb because Valletta is just a 10 minute ferry ride away while regular busses to most major island destinations pass through Sliema's bus terminal.
With all these things taken as a whole I don't know a better place on Malta to spend your time.

• Pros:Location, Transport, Views, Promenade, Eating & Drinking...
  • Cons:No "Proper" Beach
  • In a nutshell:My No 1 Maltese Resort
  • Last visit to Sliema: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2005

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Great page, Steve. I will definitely have to check that milkshake place out!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 10:12 AM

Kinnie definitely sounds better than Coke but not sure about that mint/beer milkshake! I can see why you escaped to this sunny paradise from the UK. ;)

• Dick33's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 2:43 AM

I have never been to tgis I dont think I will now. good pages I enjoyed them

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 1:49 AM

loved those buses too - the ferry finishes too early in winter btw

• Xemx's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2005 at 9:30 AM

Great Sliema page Steve! Yes, it's a shame about all those houses being ripped down...it makes me sad. You're spot on with all your tips. Sliema is a lovely place and also where I work! Anne

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Sliema