"Sliema" Top 5 Page for this destination Sliema by steventilly
Sliema Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 590 photos
Sliema is quoted as being Malta's "biggest and most popular resort" and yet it is not simpy a resort - it is an actual town too, the home to a lot of Maltese locals. In this respect I prefer it to Qawra/Bugibba, which are purpose built resorts, and also to Mellieha.
Sliema has miles of seafront, all backed by a pleasant promenade and much of it lined with flat, rocky lidos from which to sunbathe and swim. There is no sand whatsoever, which can put people off, but not me. I'm not the world's greatest sunbather anyway.
For part of its length the Sliema coastline faces across to Valletta and you get wonderful views of that city - probably THE classic view, especially at dusk. For the rest it faces out to the open sea and for its entire length it is backed by hotels, bars and cafes and the promanade is punctuated by kiosk cafes.
The promenade is a popular and busy place, especially at night when it can seem like the whole of Malta has come out to walk its length. I love the atmosphere that this generates.
Beyond Sliema is St Julians which continues the seaside promenade, ending at the picturesque Spinola Bay, lined as it is with dozens of great eating places and bars. Beyond that is Paceville with its vibrant and youthful nightlife.
As a base Sliema is superb because Valletta is just a 10 minute ferry ride away while regular busses to most major island destinations pass through Sliema's bus terminal.
With all these things taken as a whole I don't know a better place on Malta to spend your time.
- Pros:Location, Transport, Views, Promenade, Eating & Drinking...
- Cons:No "Proper" Beach
- In a nutshell:My No 1 Maltese Resort
As with the cafes mentioned elsewhere, the seafront is lined with bars of one type or another. Some are quite dark "hole... more travel advice
Right at the end of Sliema seafront, almost where it becomes St. Julians is a small park/garden area. I thought that I... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Sliema Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sliema - One of the most visited places in Malta !"
- "Sliema Strand and Gzira"
- "A perfect place to choose a hotel for Malta !"
- "Sliema- Malta's best resort"
- "Sliema - Malta"
- "S L I E M A"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sliema
- Hotels in Sliema
- Transportation in Sliema
- Nightlife in Sliema
- Restaurants in Sliema
- Shopping in Sliema
- Warnings and Dangers in Sliema
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sliema
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Sliema?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sliema
Photos in SliemaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues