"Rhodes Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) by steventilly

Rhodes (Island) Travel Guide: 939 reviews and 2,488 photos

This is the page for Rhodes Island. If you want to know more about Rhodes Town see my Rhodes Town VT page.
Rhodes is a beautiful island in the Dodecanese island group, just a few miles off the Turkish coast.
It has a fantastic capital in Rhodes Town, one of the best medieval towns I've ever seen, and a total "must see". The interior of the old town is a complete maze of streets, lanes and alleys, with something interesting and beautiful around every corner.

It has some very good beaches, such as Kalithea, Faliraki, Lindos and Tsambika where the sand is quite soft and the water is crystal clear. These are great beaches for swimming from or just paddling in, and there are watersports available at most of them.

It has some lovely villages, and especially those in the south of the island, away from Rhodes Town where they are much more traditional and unspoiled (though most still cater for the "bus tour" and so on).
Finally Rhodes has some fantastic historical monuments, such as the Acropolis of Lindos and of Ancient Kamiros, as well as all of the old crusader forts and castles scattered around the island and especially at Rhodes Town.
Most of all though, it has very warm and friendly people, and our stay here was an absolute delight.
We'd return to Rhodes again, anyday, but of course there's so much else to see in the world that it will perhaps be a while till we do actually return.

• Pros:Sun, Sea, Food, People, History
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:Great Holiday Destination, Whatever Your Tastes
  • Last visit to Rhodes (Island): Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2005

• carolondon's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Hi Steve, as history loving beach goers with a penchant for snorkeling, and no taste for late night binge drinking (!) which town would suit us best on Rhodes in your opinion? Thanks xx

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Hi steve, Enjoyed your tips, will help when we visit first week Oct'08. Is a day trip to Turkey a "must see"? Only have 3 nights on Rhodes.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Rhodes could be sy summer holiday destination. Ciao!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 10:15 AM

I think I'd like to visit this place. It's a lot cheaper for me to go to Rhodes than the US...LOL

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM

I've enjoyed your pages on Rhodes. I'm planning a trip to Greece, to one of the beautiful islands and your tips are helpful. Cheers, Valerie

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2005 at 12:40 AM

Excellent VT Rhodes pages Steve, very detailed and great to see the joy in your Rhodes travels, thanks for share, greetzzz RoyJava

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2005 at 11:04 AM

Great page abot Rhodes Island! I have just started mine. Anyway I like your infos and pictures, really good ones. Greetings from Warsaw.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2005 at 11:44 AM

..yes I did take the donkey ride ...the one in front had terrible wind though! I see there is still much we didn't see and a return trip will be necessary . I think you did the island bus tour here ;-0 oh and Pink Panther was my chocie for birthday cake!

• May 31, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Great pictures and information here...soonly I will check them all:-)) Thanks for sharing!!

• LizD's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2005 at 11:13 PM

Going to Rhodes next week. After reading your tips, I can't wait. Great Pics too. Many thanks. Liz

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Rhodes (Island)

Have you been to Rhodes (Island)?

Latest Activity in Rhodes (Island)