Kos Transportation Tips by steventilly Top 5 Page for this destination
Kos Transportation: 33 reviews and 39 photos
Hydrofoil Jetty, Kos Town
Kos is a busy little port. There are inter-island ferries of all types ("traditional", fast catemarans and hydrofoils), cruise ships, private yachts, warships, merchant vessels and a whole host of day trip craft. Boats all go from some part of the main harbour in Kos town (find out which part when you book) except for some of the hydrofoils that leave from a jetty just behind the tourist information centre (pictured).
Biking On Kos
Kos is a great place for bicycle hire - there are hire places all over the place and lots of bike parking spots too. There's a proper cycle track that runs from Kos Town, along the seafront, past the (new) marina, through Psaladi, past the water park and eventually onto a really quiet road that can take you right round to Empros Thermes. We didn't go that far, we turned back at Agia Fokas, but it was a great day of gentle biking. We found a great taverna (Nikos & Kontessa) on this ride, between Psaladi & Agias Fokas.
In the other direction, you can cycle from Kos, through Livadi and Selveri to Tigaki and on to Marmari. This is on a quiet back road with hardly any traffic, which hugs the coast for the whole way.
Bike hire is really cheap, the bikes are good (18 speed "all terrain" bikes) and they come with integrated locks. Many tavernas and private beaches along the track to Psaladi have bike parking facilities.
Mini Train, Kos Town
There are two mini trains, one of which does a tour of the city and the other which goes to Asklepion. The first of these leaves from beside the municipal bus station on the harbour front, and the other leaves from beside the tourist information office on the seafront round past the castle (Akti Miaouli).
Bus Station, Kos Style
There are two bus stations in Kos town serving different destinations. Buses to the other end of the island and all places in between go from a little square just off the corner of Pissandrou and Kleopatris, behind the Western Excavations (pictured). Information, timetables and a nice relaxing drink can be had at one of the cafes by the bus station.
Buses along the seafront from Lambi to beyond Psaladi are regarded as the "municipal service" and go Akti Kountouriotou, the road in front of the harbour where the day trip boats leave from. There's an information office in the municipal buildings along that stretch of road.
More Reviews (87)
- See All Better Beaches
- See All Kitty Cats
- See All Jewellery
- Pack Light
- Site Closed
steventilly's Related Pages
Kos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos, Capital of Kos Island"
- "A BEAUTIFUL GREEK ISLAND"
- "Kos, Greece"
- "I can see Turkey from here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos
- Hotels in Kos
- Transportation in Kos
- Nightlife in Kos
- Restaurants in Kos
- Shopping in Kos
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kos
- 91 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Kos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues