Santorini Island Warnings Or Dangers Tips by steventilly Top 5 Page for this destination
Santorini Island Warnings and Dangers: 57 reviews and 79 photos
The Meltemi is a wind that blows across the Aegean from North to South. It can blow pretty much constantly and tends to get worse (stronger) later in the year. During the time that we were in Santorini (June) the Meltemi was blowing as a little more than a constant breeze, whch served to keep you from overheating.
During the day, while out and about, it was barely noticeable as any sort of "nuicance" but at night it was different, as it cooled things a bit too much. Sitting eating on an open terrace facing the caldera could be rather chilly, and a warm top was necessary to keep things comfortable. Some places had transparent plastic "curtains" to help keep the breeze out, and this worked to some degree.
On a positive note, as our hotel was right on the edge of the caldera, the Meltemi cooled things down at night sufficiently that we never needed to put the aircon on to cool the room, and we slept very soundly!
Moving Luggage In Imerovigli
Many of the hotels in Fira, Firostefani and Imerovigli are ranged down the cliffside and you reach them by long, fairly steep steps and hilly paths. This can be a problem if you have a lot of heavy luggage. Your hotel may have a porter, but the poor guy is likely to be overworked, and in most cases you'll have to handle your luggage yourself. We passed numerous people struggling to get luggage up the hills and steps looking very hot and tired.
Steaming Pile Of Donkey Doo, Fira
Be careful if you walk up or down the donkey steps that lead to/from the old port. Dozens of donkeys tread these steps and they're not too bothered about where or when they go to the loo. The steps are littered with piles of donkey doo, and attempts to clean it up seem at best half hearted. It's part of the "charm" and "appeal" of the place, but mind you don't step in a pile. And mind that you have a good stomach too, on a particularly fragrant day!
More Reviews (55)
steventilly's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 58 Reviews
- 219 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Travel Naxos Island Forum "Re: Naxos in April"
- Commented on one of Helga67's Santorini Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review The "Meltemi" Wind about Sun and Wind in Santorini Island Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Santorini Island Travelogue "A Walk From Fira to Oia (Part 2)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Walk From Fira to Oia (Part 2)"
Photos in Santorini IslandSee All Photos (219)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
- Oia Village- 104 Reviews, 218 Photos
- Volcano- 51 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Red Beach- 21 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Pyrgos Village- 22 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Mule Path- 15 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Sunsets- 13 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Fira- 33 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Wine Tasting- 21 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Akrotiri Excavations- 22 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Ancient Thira- 9 Reviews, 36 Photos
See All Santorini Island Things to Do