"Cycladean Splendour" Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island by steventilly
Santorini Island Travel Guide: 1,598 reviews and 5,286 photos
Santorini is a truly wonderful destination. The siting of some of its major towns along the clifftop rim of the caldera is one of the most spectactularly lovely sights I've ever seen. The buildings seem to defy gravity in the way they cling to the cliffs and are stacked one on top of the other like so many sugar cubes.
We had a slight fear that it may all be a bit too twee, a kind of "disneyland" and not really "Greece". We'd read how tavernas just want you to spend as much as possible and then leave as soon as you've finished; how waiters, shopkeepers etc. are less friendly and more pushy and about simply how expensive the place is.
We needn't have worried. The people were no different to anywhere else in Greece really. We always got good and friendly service and were never rushed. The food was wonderful, I'd say the best of any Greek Island we've visited so far, and it was a little more expensive, but only a little. We ended up taking a wadge of money back home because it was so much cheaper than we'd been led to believe.
There's more to Santorini than just the clifftop, sugarcube towns of Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia, though it is these that most people flock to see. There are inland hilltop "fortified" villages and cosmopolitan coastal resorts, with fine, black sand beaches and there are ancient archeological sites. We made sure that we saw all sides of Santorini.
It's a good island for walking too, if you're up to it. We took our (lightweight) walking boots with us so we could make the most of the opportunities. We'd been surprised (and delighted) to find that for all its diverse towns and villages, it's really a very small island. From where we were staying, near Fira, you could walk to almost everywhere. We walked to Pyrgos, Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia, as well as walking from Emborio to Perissa and Kamari to Ancient Thira (and back). We could have walked from where we stayed to Kamari, Megalahori, Messaria, Mesa Gournia and Akrotiri. In fact, we could have walked everywhere, given enough days.
- Pros:Scenery, Scenery, Scenery, Scenery
- In a nutshell:Wonderful Destination, Paradise On Earth
Perissa didn't impress me much to start with. The main street as walked into town had no pavement and you were sharing... more travel advice
I couldn't rave on about the views from Ancient Thira without showing some, and also without illustrating the way up to... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 58 Reviews
- 219 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Travel Naxos Island Forum "Re: Naxos in April"
- Commented on one of Helga67's Santorini Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review The "Meltemi" Wind about Sun and Wind in Santorini Island Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Santorini Island Travelogue "A Walk From Fira to Oia (Part 2)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Walk From Fira to Oia (Part 2)"
Photos in Santorini IslandSee All Photos (219)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues