"Durham" Top 5 Page for this destination Durham by steventilly
Durham Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 567 photos
I was born just 10km from Durham. As teenagers we would cycle, walk or take the bus to Durham on a regular basis. There was not much there in terms of shopping, other than a great fishing tackle shop, but it was a nice place to walk around and we explored every nook and crannie.
We also used to regularly visit every free atraction in the City, our favourite of which was the Infantry Museum, with its displays of military hardware, accounts of battles, displays of medals won in action, and a really strange "hands on" art gallery.
Of course The Cathedral was a great draw too, and we used to go there often, and walk right round the river.
Later, we would go to Durham to "go to the pub" when we were still underage. It was quieter and less "scary" than Newcastle, and there was less chance of ending up in a fight or meeting someone you shouldn't (like a teacher from school). It was also a mite nearer, so if you missed the last bus, you could still walk home in an hour or so.
Nowadays it's as pleasant a little City as ever, and the shopping has even improved a little. It's not a BIG city, only about 90000 people, and there aren't hundreds of bars and restaurants, but what there is is pleasant. It's a good place for a daytrip, or a weekend, or as a base to see the North East. It's also the home to one of the country's leading Universities and has some good schools.
One day in October I decided to go and take these pictures in Durham instead of nervously watching England trying to qualify for the world cup. Thanks to Sabs for keeping me up with the scores that day :-)
Take a look at Durham...
- Pros:Lovely Little City, Magnificent Cathedral & Castle, Great Setting
- Cons:A Bit "too" Little, Shopping A Bit Of A Let-Down
- In a nutshell:Good For A Daytrip
Crossgate is a nice old street. It's off to the left just after you cross Framwellgate Bridge, and it has this church... more travel advice
A view of the inner courtyard. This door the the way into the university halls of residence, and the starting point of... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Durham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip down memory lane for sourbugger"
- "Daytripping to Durham"
- "Durham - great for students"
- "Rachel and Joe's Wedding 24th July 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durham
- Hotels in Durham
- Transportation in Durham
- Nightlife in Durham
- Restaurants in Durham
- Shopping in Durham
- Warnings and Dangers in Durham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durham
- 33 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Durham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues