"Typically English" Nun Monkton by steventilly

Nun Monkton Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 40 photos

Nun Monkton is a small rural village a little way out of York. It is so "typically" English, with it's village green, duck pond, maypole, pub, church and river. Basically all you could hope to find in an English village, all bundeled together. All that is missing is hoardes of tourists, which suits me fine.

• Pros:Quiet, peaceful, beautiful, great pub
  • In a nutshell:Lovely place to stop off on the way home from York
  • Last visit to Nun Monkton: May 2003
  • Intro Written Jun 4, 2003

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM

You've no idea how much help by VT members was needed to help me find my way back here for a second look. Time permitting I hope to visit soon -promise not to take a coach load.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 3:59 PM

It is nice to see the May Pole still in exsistence, but where do we get the village names from ?? sounds like some kind of monster fish to me

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 11:36 AM

There's nothing worse than finding out the pub isn't open when you want a cold one! Looks like you were a great tour guide through the greenery here.

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 9:23 AM

You're right, this looks like the perfect little English village. I hope it stays that way!

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2003 at 11:27 PM

Excellent page Steve! What a lovely village and company too.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2003 at 1:07 AM

What a fantastic place for a VT meeting!! I love the British names for towns!! You guys must've had great time once the Pub got opened! Great pictures of the area too!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2003 at 7:12 AM

A very warm, sympathetic, lovely page! Great and funny writings and first of all wonderful VT meeting! Amazing pictures!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2003 at 1:20 AM

rotfl @ half woman half camera! u haven't met me yet ;-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 4:15 PM

Looks like a lovely village but I'd rather the pub opened early so we could spend more time enjoying a few pints. ;=>

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2003 at 2:02 PM

What a lovely village with an odd name.

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Nun Monkton

Have you been to Nun Monkton?

Latest Activity in Nun Monkton