"Everything Changes & Nothing Changes" Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough by steventilly
Scarborough Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 409 photos
We used to go to Scarborough every year for our annual holiday, but since I became "independant" I've hardly been - I can't remember the last time.
Well, I went recently and oh how much it has changed. For one thing, there is now a fantastic castle towering above the town - if that was there when I was small I sure never saw it ;-) And the fantastic busy fishing harbour, and pleasure trips, and yacht marina, and the Church with it's grave of Anne Bronte...
I'm being a bit ironic here of course - those things were always there, we just didn't notice them - I guess as kids we were more interested in the beach, the "shows", the chips and the waffles. Which brings me to...
Things were just exactly as I remember as a child. I could go straight to the chip shop where we bought our chips 30 years ago, and to the waffle shop in the North Bay where it seemed we used to go every day.
And they still have band recitals and World War 2 naval battles in Peasholm Park, and the miniature railway, and cable cars, and the outdoor swimming pool still looks cold...
Ah yes, nothing ever changes,
Probably the best way for me to show you Scarborough is via a walking tour, basically the way we did it starting from the South Bay and heading down to Scalby Mills at the far North, and taking in pretty much all there is to see along the way.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, nice buildings, lovely harbour, history, gardens, tacky amusements...
- In a nutshell:It's got everything!
Atlantis is the outdoor swimming and water fun park in the Norh Bay (by Peasholm Park). It always looked a tad cold when... more travel advice
There's all sorts of boat trips going on from the harbour: "Large" boats (like the one at the right of this picture)... more travel advice
- See All Scalby
- See All Listen To The Bands
- See All Rough Seas
- Donkey Rides
steventilly's Related Pages
Scarborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The finest town on the Yorkshire coast"
- "Everything Changes & Nothing Changes"
- "Sun, Sea, Sand, at Scarborough"
- "My home town!"
- "More than a fair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scarborough
- Hotels in Scarborough
- Transportation in Scarborough
- Nightlife in Scarborough
- Restaurants in Scarborough
- Shopping in Scarborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Scarborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scarborough
- 76 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Scarborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scarborough
Photos in ScarboroughSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues