"Everything Changes & Nothing Changes" Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough by steventilly

Scarborough Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 409 photos

Everything Changes...

We used to go to Scarborough every year for our annual holiday, but since I became "independant" I've hardly been - I can't remember the last time.
Well, I went recently and oh how much it has changed. For one thing, there is now a fantastic castle towering above the town - if that was there when I was small I sure never saw it ;-) And the fantastic busy fishing harbour, and pleasure trips, and yacht marina, and the Church with it's grave of Anne Bronte...
I'm being a bit ironic here of course - those things were always there, we just didn't notice them - I guess as kids we were more interested in the beach, the "shows", the chips and the waffles. Which brings me to...

And Nothing Changes

Things were just exactly as I remember as a child. I could go straight to the chip shop where we bought our chips 30 years ago, and to the waffle shop in the North Bay where it seemed we used to go every day.
And they still have band recitals and World War 2 naval battles in Peasholm Park, and the miniature railway, and cable cars, and the outdoor swimming pool still looks cold...
Ah yes, nothing ever changes,

Walking Tour

Probably the best way for me to show you Scarborough is via a walking tour, basically the way we did it starting from the South Bay and heading down to Scalby Mills at the far North, and taking in pretty much all there is to see along the way.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, nice buildings, lovely harbour, history, gardens, tacky amusements...
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:It's got everything!
  • Last visit to Scarborough: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2003

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM

The Spa Band Shell looks like it was used in a scene of "Little Voice". Do you happen to know if it was?

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Scarborough looks like a nice place to visit.

• YorkieJanet's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 9:59 PM

Great detailed expo. I loved it and I only live up the road. Don't forget it's a bikers haunt where on Bank holidays you will see hundreds of m/bikes. Marine Drive improvements now finished and it looks great, no more crashing waves though !!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 3:46 AM

Are you an "independent" now, Steve? Eating fish & chips on the Jersey shore might get you killed by agressive seagulls. lol Don't you miss the Cockles & Winkles? ;)

• Apr 2, 2005 at 9:50 AM

A few more details about privelige...had a wicked night there with my bloke; gorgeous girls with hot bodies, reasonable prices and a fantastic atmosphere.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 8:42 AM

Thanks for the tip about the bridge!! Seriously loved your Scarbourgh page brought back fond memories.

• Nov 12, 2004 at 5:17 PM

Your pictures were great and helpful! I'm coming to Scarborough in January to study at the University and it was neat to see pics of the town. Thanks!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 6:27 AM

Though I am from that "other" Newcastle, I am coming over next year. You have been warned. Great pages! Very helpful for my research

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 7:41 AM

Great colorful harbor photos and St. Mary's looks especially charming. And isn't it amazing how that really old looking castle just magically appeared since your childhood?! ;-)

• Bobek's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 12:46 AM

Wonderful memories come back to me...from years ago, maybe 15, ...a good friend who showed me all that and walking part of the Cleveland way, with a broken camera and no pictures taken. Thank you for sending me yours!

steventilly

“... Dreaming Of Islands ...”

Badges & Stats in Scarborough

Have you been to Scarborough?

Latest Activity in Scarborough