"Sunderland" Top 5 Page for this destination Sunderland by steventilly
Sunderland Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 85 photos
Sitting on the mouth of the River Wear up in the North East of England, Sunderland was once, along with its near neighbours Newcastle and Middlesbrough, a great shipbuilding centre. The rivers once teamed with vessels and the banks were crammed with shipyards. 25% of all ships built during the war were built in Sunderland.
Like Newcastle too, Sunderland was a centre of the coalmining industry, having collieries of it's own and also being the major seaport of County Durham, with all its collieries.
Both of these industries have all but vanished from the region, leaving a great void in Sunderland that has taken some time to fill. The jobs that have come, with the exception of the Nissan car plant, seem to be largely in the "call centre" type of role, with whole industrial parks being filled by a variety of call centres. While being important to the economy of the region, these jobs are far removed from the mighty industries of the past that are now gone, never to return.
Marseden Rocks are a formation of rock stacks a few yards offshore from the cliffs. As well as their scenic beauty they... more travel advice
More or less opposite the Souter Lighthouse is the remains of a group of lime kilns. Used to burn limestone to produce... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Sunderland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunderland the largest city in the north-east"
- "Sunderland AFC"
- "Sunderland - Land of the Mackems"
- "Penshaw Monument and the River Wear"
- "My home city..."
- "Silverstar's Magic Newcastle upon Tyne Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sunderland
- Hotels in Sunderland
- Transportation in Sunderland
- Nightlife in Sunderland
- Restaurants in Sunderland
- Warnings and Dangers in Sunderland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sunderland
- 29 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Sunderland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sunderland
Photos in SunderlandSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Sunderland hotel reviews
- The Roker Hotel
- 224 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Quality Hotel Sunderland
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Premier Inn Sunderland - North West
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Premier Inn Sunderland - West
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Marriott Sunderland
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Queen Vic
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- Hunters Lodge
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2012
- Pullman Lodge Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2011