"Ullswater" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullswater by steventilly
Ullswater Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 67 photos
Ullswater is the second largest of the Lake District's lakes, and possibly its most beautiful.
There are no speedboats on Ullswater - in fact there are altogether less boats here than on Windermere - and that gives the whole lake a much more tranquil feel. Also, the two main villages on the lake, Pooley Bridge and Glenridding, do not encroach too much on this tranquility, nor is great tracts of the lakeshore taken up with private developments. Most of the southern half of the lake is accessible by the public, and if you go to the eastern side (Howtown & Sandwick) you'll find some very beautiful and peaceful spots.
There's a great walk that you can do from Howtown to Glenridding, starting with a steamer ride from Glenridding itself. I'll tell you about it in the tips below.
Also around Ullswater is the main path up to Helvellyn and the walk up to High Street, both great high-level hikes.
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery, Lake Steamers, Pubs, Cafes, No Speedboats
- In a nutshell:My Favourite Lake
You know, I come to this store every time I'm in Glenridding but I have No Idea what it's called! (I'll look next... more travel advice
Quite basic but friendly site in a great location. It does have a modern toilet.shower block, and a cafe/tearoom at the... more travel advice
steventilly's Related Pages
Ullswater Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ullswater Lake"
- "A more sedate part of the lake district"
- "Brothers Water"
- "A weekend camping"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ullswater
- Hotels in Ullswater
- Transportation in Ullswater
- Restaurants in Ullswater
- Shopping in Ullswater
- Warnings and Dangers in Ullswater
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ullswater
- 29 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Ullswater?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ullswater
Photos in UllswaterSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 54 reviews, 231 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santorini Island Intro, 58 reviews, 219 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of the Cyclades Intro, 49 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 47 reviews, 188 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 93 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Intro, 91 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 62 reviews, 132 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 78 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scarborough Intro, 76 reviews, 79 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 33 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues